Question about no-bakes....

I made some no-bake cookies the other day, and dh and I realized that for as long as I have made them for him, they don't harden up, they stay really soft. When we were kids, our mom's and grandma's no-bakes would harden up (or jell, I suppose) and MINE never do! What am I doing wrong? Is it the butter? Imitation vanilla? This will drive me up the wall till I figure it out! Can anyone help me? Thanks so much!

29again

Asked by 29again at 12:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Not cooking the mixture long enough or too much humidity in the air would be my guess.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Are you using Quick 5minute oatmeal? Also, once it starts to bubble, remove it from the heat for 60 secs before adding your vanilla.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• My guess would be they overcooked the saucy part and you don't. I'm not a fan of no-bakes, but I hate them when they're crumbly.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• You might not be cooking the liquid mixture long enough. You have to let it get to a rolling boil and keep it there for a few minutes, then take it off the heat and let it stand for sixty seconds or so before adding the vanilla.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I don't have my recipe in front of me, but I believe I am to let it come to a boil that can't be stirred down, let it boil for a minute. Add the vanilla and peanut butter and stir until that is smooth. Then I add the oats, mix well, and let that sit for about 10 min. They hold their shape, but they are really soft. Almost like they would melt into a puddle if they got warm.

Oh, I have quick oats. Not instant or old-fashioned. I'm not quite sure what the difference is, but I have quick ones.
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Mine stay soft too. Firm enough to pick up but not hard, I thought that was how they were supposed to be? I

Answer by missanc at 1:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I'll post the recipe I have tomorrow.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Go to America's test kitchen 's site
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 24, 2012