How long is too long to rear face your car seat?

I am just curious .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Are you looking for the sanctimommy answer or the common sense one?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• When their legs are all folded up uncomfortably

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• ^^^that & when they can drive themselves!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I am just asking because I read about order children. I mean grade school still rear facing. so just wondering if grade school is too old. Mine has been forward since a little over a year so it doesn't apply to me but just curious.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• The common sense answer is 1-2 years, dependent on the size of the actual child. Some people are so militant about it, they'd force their kids to ride backwards until they're old enough to drive themselves, because they are so paranoid about one particular injury that might occur in just the right circumstances, they don't care if it causes broken noses or broken legs in just about any other circumstance.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Yes, grade school is too old. I turned all mine around between 1-2. When my oldest was born 15 years ago, most people said go ahead and turn them around once they turned 1 AND were 20 lbs. Only in the past few years has it been a big push to wait, and with my youngest I did wait until she was around 20 months simply because she was so tiny. But really I think by 4 or so they kids should be turned around.

Answer by missanc at 10:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I think it should depend on the size/mobility of the child. I turned all three of mine around to face front at just after they turned a year old. I understand that some kids are smaller and parents need to wait, but my kids were average weight and height (ok, they were short and still are). If you go by simple height and weight alone though, some people with dwarfism would STILL be in rear facing car seats. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• When they've reached the maximum rear facing limit intended by the seat. I believe ours was 35 lbs, I wound up switching DS around when he was 3.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I know when my daughter was 1 yrs old which was not that long ago it was still ok to do it at 1 yr and 20lbs. . so i did it after 1 yrs old. she is 3 yrs old and is in a booster seat. still a five point harness. I did switch her to the center because I read it some place that it was safer and when I did this it does have a hook for the latch in my car. all these crazy drivers make me nervous but i feel more comfortable with her in the center.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Rear facing is safest for their necks and I would rather have a broken leg then internally decapatated child. Mine were rear facing until the out grew the best seat we could afford which was around 3 years. My 7 year old is in a high back booster and my 5 year old is in a 5 point harness.
    Anonymous