How long is too long to rear face your car seat?

I am just curious .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• It is safest to keep a child rear facing until they reach the rear facing weight or height limit of their convertible car seat. How long a child can remain rear facing depends on the size of the child and the car seat they are using. My son is on the smaller side (only 25th percentile for height) and I have a very high capacity rear facing seat, so he is still rear facing at 5 and may make it to 6 or 7 before he has to turn around. Rear facing is 532% safer, so my child will remain rear facing until he reaches the max for his seat.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 10:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• lol my very verbal 4 year old is still rear facing...I think I would know if he was uncomfortable...he is very comfortable, and does not mind...it is actually much more uncomfortable to forward face and have their legs hanging like a dead weight until their feet touch the floorboard, than it is for them to rear face and be able to rest their legs on the back of the seat...he will be turned around when he reaches the limit of his seat, which is 40lbs. If my 4 year old can rear face..I find it hard to believe that a 1 year old baby is too big...Why is he rear facing? Because it is safer. Proven fact. You cannot argue it. Is it inconvenient? Not to me, but I guess it could be to others...but there is no pro to forward facing that outweighs the pros of rear facing.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 1:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• It depends on the manufacturer of your car seat. Rear facing is best for as long as possible but only if safely stated by your car seat.
    jesslsch

Answer by jesslsch at 10:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• mine both had to be turned around at about 14 months b/c they have long legs. knees in your chin is ridiculous just to prevent something horrible in a crash thats likely to never happen. i think it depends on the kid's size. about 10 years ago i babysat some kids that were all rear faced at 8, 5, and 3 but they were super short and super thin.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I know its the safests however, I think school age is a little extreme. It doesn't matter to me what everyone else does but just curious how to put a 7 yr old rearfacing. I wont be turning my 3 yr old around she is in 5 point harness and its hard enough to get her in and out of that but just curious about the school age children.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Rear facing is safest for their necks and I would rather have a broken leg then internally decapatated child. Mine were rear facing until the out grew the best seat we could afford which was around 3 years. My 7 year old is in a high back booster and my 5 year old is in a 5 point harness.
    Anonymous

• I know when my daughter was 1 yrs old which was not that long ago it was still ok to do it at 1 yr and 20lbs. . so i did it after 1 yrs old. she is 3 yrs old and is in a booster seat. still a five point harness. I did switch her to the center because I read it some place that it was safer and when I did this it does have a hook for the latch in my car. all these crazy drivers make me nervous but i feel more comfortable with her in the center.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• When they've reached the maximum rear facing limit intended by the seat. I believe ours was 35 lbs, I wound up switching DS around when he was 3.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I think it should depend on the size/mobility of the child. I turned all three of mine around to face front at just after they turned a year old. I understand that some kids are smaller and parents need to wait, but my kids were average weight and height (ok, they were short and still are). If you go by simple height and weight alone though, some people with dwarfism would STILL be in rear facing car seats. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Yes, grade school is too old. I turned all mine around between 1-2. When my oldest was born 15 years ago, most people said go ahead and turn them around once they turned 1 AND were 20 lbs. Only in the past few years has it been a big push to wait, and with my youngest I did wait until she was around 20 months simply because she was so tiny. But really I think by 4 or so they kids should be turned around.

Answer by missanc at 10:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2012