How long is too long to rear face your car seat?

I am just curious .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• The common sense answer is 1-2 years, dependent on the size of the actual child. Some people are so militant about it, they'd force their kids to ride backwards until they're old enough to drive themselves, because they are so paranoid about one particular injury that might occur in just the right circumstances, they don't care if it causes broken noses or broken legs in just about any other circumstance.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Rear facing is safest for their necks and I would rather have a broken leg then internally decapatated child. Mine were rear facing until the out grew the best seat we could afford which was around 3 years. My 7 year old is in a high back booster and my 5 year old is in a 5 point harness.
    Anonymous

• lol my very verbal 4 year old is still rear facing...I think I would know if he was uncomfortable...he is very comfortable, and does not mind...it is actually much more uncomfortable to forward face and have their legs hanging like a dead weight until their feet touch the floorboard, than it is for them to rear face and be able to rest their legs on the back of the seat...he will be turned around when he reaches the limit of his seat, which is 40lbs. If my 4 year old can rear face..I find it hard to believe that a 1 year old baby is too big...Why is he rear facing? Because it is safer. Proven fact. You cannot argue it. Is it inconvenient? Not to me, but I guess it could be to others...but there is no pro to forward facing that outweighs the pros of rear facing.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 1:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• When they've reached the maximum rear facing limit intended by the seat. I believe ours was 35 lbs, I wound up switching DS around when he was 3.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• mine both had to be turned around at about 14 months b/c they have long legs. knees in your chin is ridiculous just to prevent something horrible in a crash thats likely to never happen. i think it depends on the kid's size. about 10 years ago i babysat some kids that were all rear faced at 8, 5, and 3 but they were super short and super thin.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• It depends on the manufacturer of your car seat. Rear facing is best for as long as possible but only if safely stated by your car seat.
    jesslsch

Answer by jesslsch at 10:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Are you looking for the sanctimommy answer or the common sense one?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• When their legs are all folded up uncomfortably

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• ^^^that & when they can drive themselves!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I am just asking because I read about order children. I mean grade school still rear facing. so just wondering if grade school is too old. Mine has been forward since a little over a year so it doesn't apply to me but just curious.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2012