I'm trying to save money but not sure what to do.

I can spend a lot of money to move into a new apartment (movers, a new deposit and application fee)and save $114 a month on rent or I can stay where I am and spend $914 a month. The place I'm in now is getting a new kitchen and new bathrooms. The place I'd be moving into is basic apartment decor but I've heard a lot of bad things about the place next door. A meth lab, break ins and an alleged rape. I definitely don't want that but I don't want to struggle to pay rent either. I'd like to keep my son at the same school too which only gives me this one other place to move unless someone lets me move into a house near by. I know that's going to be way over $914. So what suggestions do u all have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I would stay where I am, especially if I already have an idea that where I want to move to would be problematic with whomever is living next door. Staying where I am would keep my son in a better environment, he can stay in his school with his friends and than I would just try to adjust my budget so I can find something to cut back on to see savings.

Even if its just $25- $50/month it will eventually add up.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I agree with virginiamama and would add that if you stay where you are, you can always keep your eyes and ears open for something better without having to worry about seeing/hearing cops all the time.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Stay. You cannot put a price on the safety of you & your kid.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• stay plus it'll take a year to recover the move costs before you ease up on the struggle. Cut cable and internet. Look at your phone bill. Refi your car. Look at any insurance policies to see if another place is cheaper. Call the credit card company and see if they will lover your rate. Anything that isn't an absolute must, try to cut back. I get economy cable then added netflix. It's way less for us than Comcast.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I would stay where you are and try to cut in other areas.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2013