Why don't people think before they open their big mouth?

My SO and I have been together for 2 yrs. Things are great between us and we have been seriously talking marriage. But, I have 3 kids from a previous marriage and my oldest is ALMOST done with high school. I know people move all the time and I'm the parent and all. But I just want her to finish up school where she started. All the junk she has been thru with the divorce and everything else, I just think I can give her this 1 thing. My SO and I live an hr away. He has a great job. We have a plan. The plan is once my daughter graduates, I will move by him. I'm pretty sure he will then ask me to marry him.

The problem is that people keep stirring the pot by saying "Oh, you have been together 2 yrs and you're not married or living together? What's wrong?" What's wrong? WHAT'S WRONG? IT'S COMPLICATED AND YOU JUST MADE IT WORSE. Neither one of us is happy about it, but it is what it is. We have decided that what we have is worth waiting for. SO JUST SHUT THE F*** UP AND LEAVE IT ALONE!

Sorry, just had to vent.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 12:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Relationships

• Letting her finish up these last couple of months in school is the best plan. Everyone will get a fresh start in the summer. I think you have a good plan and other peoples opinions don't matter anyways.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I agree with you. Letting her finish up the next few months is a good plan. Just tell everyone else to butt out.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• You know, I kind of see their point, though. YOU don't have to move. He could. Heck, I consider one hour to be a minimum required commute now, for preservation of the separation between home life and work life. And I used to never live less than 20 minutes from work!

So I might wonder why he hasn't moved.

But all you have to say is, "We're happy with the situation. Thank you for your concern. What do you think about this weather?"

Answer by gdiamante at 2:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• keep doing what you doing. You know whats best for you and your family
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Wow. Vent! Calm down... breathe. Good luck!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I wouldn't move until that ring was on my finger and a date was set

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• You are doing the right thing. Definitely. Next time someone says, "What's wrong?" Tell them nothing and end it there. It's no one's business.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I am glad you had a place to vent. We had to move when my brother just had the last 4 months of high school left to complete. There was no choice for my father. They arranged for him to stay with his BF family and finish out school. None of us were happy about it but It was important for him to stay there and finish.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Stop listening to them. There will always be people who ask questions about things that are none of their business. They ask because they have nothing better to do with their brains ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Why would you hinge your whole life and your children's life because you think he might ask you to marry him? It is your life but you put it out there.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2012