My 3 week old son hardly burps and when he doesn't he has a bad tummy ache ... HELP..

My 3 week old son is very hard to burp it usually takes him about 15 to 20 min to get one burp out of him. If we don't burp him and let him just go to sleep then he wakes up screaming about an hour later with a really bad stomach ache and really bad acid. His doctor put him on prevacid but that doesn't seem to help it actually sounds like its really hard for him to breath after we give it to him. So if anyone has had these problems and can help me out that would be so helpful!!

MoMmYtObEtO1

Asked by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aw, poor litlte tyke. Keep him upright as long as you can, I wonder if letting him sleep in his car seat (brought inside, naturally) would be reasonable- his head would need to be supported. I always burped the babies by sitting them up on my lap, supporting their head and body with my right hand on their body and my fingers in a V and supporting their head, and then rub lightly on their back with my left hand.

Answer by Bmat at 4:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Have you tried Gripe Water? Find something with Oil of Fennel and Sodium Bicarbonate in it. Give it to him before a feeding. It will really help with the burping. Other than that, try different burping positions. Mine went through different phases. At one point it was over the shoulder pat on the back that got it out. Other times it was sitting on my lap with a pat on the back (it helps if you lay them back for a minute and then bring them back up to sitting). Then it was gentle bouncing that did it for awhile. Also, putting pressure on his tummy might help. Lay him down tummy down in your lap with one leg under his tummy. Or, put him face down in your arm with his tummy resting on your arm. You can also try "pedaling" where you put him on his back and pedal his legs like a bicycle. Or push his legs in towards his chest and then pull them out to straight. These moves help get gases moving. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son was the same way until he was like 2 months. try using peppermint go to a gnc or something dip a tooth pick in it put it in a lil water when he wakes up and wal-la. peppermint helps to release the stomach muscles. got the trick from my mom and it worked wonderfully
    Nicole_momtobe

Answer by Nicole_momtobe at 4:31 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Old fashioned method - get a mint from like sonic and swish a little in water ....pepperment is really good to help belly ache.
    T-Howe

Answer by T-Howe at 4:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my son had acid reflux they put him on zantac, but then it got worse so I asked about levison.Its a gas medicine it really helps to get thee burps out.Also try sitting him up for about 30 min. after he eats.Ask your pedi about zantac and levison.If that dont work you may need to switch his formula if he is bottle feed.
    Anonymous

• You may need to change his relfex med. My son was on prevacid and then went to prilosec and is now on zantac and this one seems to work the best. the other one is axcid (spell) which is like zantac. You may have to try a few and see.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 9:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009