Do you send simple holiday cards out or do you include a letter of the rundown if the past year?

I just send a picture card of the kids usually, with a generic greeting from the family. Anytime I get one of those Christmas letters from people it just usually tells me about how they went to visit other people and then a bunch of negative things about their health and stuff. It's actually kind of depressing to read them.

Do you look forward to the letters or do you look forward to writing them?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 5:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Holidays

• I'm super simple. I enjoy hearing about what others are doing but so far I haven't received one like that.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I make greeting cards using photos of the kids & a generic holiday greeting printed on it
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I send out a card with a santa pic of the youngest and a school pic of the older child. I always hand write a letter to my Grandmother in law because she always writes a lovely letter to us. I don't mind how my year went copied letters, and I don't mind photo cards without anything else but the printed greeting. I lost my grandfather last month and I don't expect anyone to mention it in a Christmas card. Those who wanted to express sympathy already did it with a sympathy card or at the services for him or with a call.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• The pre-printed newsletters to everyone, I love for the comedy. I get one every year from my cousin's family that is ALL about his wife. The only time he's even mentioned in it is if he did something with her. He got a new job this year, didn't even make it in for a mention. You can tell that not only is she writing it, but that the world is all about her (just like when you talk to her in person).

I just write them by hand, and once in a while, if it's someone I don't talk to as often, add a handwritten note inside the front, covering the basics and asking about them. I only send as many as I have copies of DS's school picture, so it's mostly close family at this point.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I really dislike those copied "how my year was" letters. I would never do it. It really is very tacky & inconsiderate. If you are sending a letter like that then you haven't spoken to the recipient in a year therefore you do not know what occurred in their life & it may have been bad & if you did know that's worse! My Dad passed in March & I received a "wow, I had the best year of my life" letter from a family friend who actually knew about my Dad's death & was very friendly with him. She sent it to me, my sisters & my Mother. With no little written note to console my Mom at least. This is an older woman who should have known better too. My DH read it & called her the "c" word!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Thank you, QuinnMae and LOL at the hangnail. I wouldn't write a blanket letter, because it is so hard not to sound silly or self centered. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I don't send anything except my parents' gift. I have done cards in the past, but would never do the letter thing. The only ones who need to know what or how I am doing, already know.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I just send out a card with a pic of D and I on it. I don't think I have ever gotten a letter.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I've never done the holiday newsletter thing.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I hate those holiday newsletters, probably because when my mom used to write them, I only got the briefest of bit parts--I guess it would have looked bad to leave me out entirely,and she couldn't tarnish her image that way. Even the year I got married, I had two sentences at the bottom of the page, while the whole first paragraph was about my parents painting their house a new color. My daughter, their granddaughter, has never made it into their letter in her five years of existence. So I don't write the letters, and I just have someone skim them for me and give me the gist if I get them. I don't send out Christmas cards anymore, except a few with the latest picture of my daughter from preschool.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2012