Seems like my newborn is always hungry.

So I am new to the BF thing and I feel like my newborn is always hungry. He nurses almost every hour.
I can only nurse on the left breast because he won't latch on the right. So I pump the right a few times a night when I find time. (I also have a 3 yr old). Is this normal for him to always seem hungry?

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's OK for him to take only one side. Both sides are not needed. Nice to do, but not needed.

Try this for the side he doesn't like: Hold the breast in a c hold and *squeeze*. Compress the tissue to make the nipple stand out. Brush baby's lips with the nipple. WHen he opens wide, push it in firmly. Don't be shy! You're taking the lead here.

But even if he nursed both sides he'd be doing what he's doing. It's normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Yes, it's normal for newborns to nurse often.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• A full feeding is both sides and I am curious why he won't latch. I would talk to his doctor nd make sure his nasal passages are both open.
    Both of mine seemed to be constantly nursing and I expressed for the hospital as well. My babues were well fed lol. If he is only nursing on one side , that is the reason he is hungry sooner. But that one side cannot refill completely so, he is still hungry.
    Normal. You can ask them to test a sample to see if you have "good" milk, but it is pretty silly because 99% of the time it is just fine.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• The good thing is the more they nurse the more supply your body will make. It could be that he isn't getting full and if he isn't latching on the other side yet he has to eat more frequently. How old is he?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• 9 days old and he won't latch because the way my nipple is on the right side. I have two different shaped nipples I guess
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• He drinks on the left side and falls asleep....so how would I breast feed on the right side if he's fallen asleep. Also, if my breast replenish themselves how is my left breast not producing enough for his next feeding...?!
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• An hour is generous time for a nursing baby. My one month old still goes less than that long between feedings. Please call LLL or see a lactation specialist about the latch on the left side. Pumping is ok but more troublesome than you need. You can try letting baby be hungry and expressing some milk from the left breasted and leaving it on the nipple. May help him her figure it out faster. GL
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Left right you know what I mean. And ignore my autocorrect apparently kindles dont think breast is a word.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Lol that's ok, I know what you mean and my phone is constant changing words haha. Well I texted my lactation consultant. So should I BF for 10 mins, and then give him the pumped milk after? Or 15 mins? I'm really all new to this
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I wouldn't introduce an artificial nipple in the first 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. If you notice baby having a harder time latching on your good boob that might be why. They sucked differently on boobs than bottles. What gdiamante said. Squeeze that boob and ease it into babies mouth.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2012