Anyone else agree with the fact that children dont need a pile of toys for Christmas?

I got each of my four kids three nice gifts this year. I basically got what they asked for, if it was reasonable. I honestly feel like some parents go way over board with the toys. Kids...well young kids after three presents, just keep opening just to open. I think moms with their first kids tend to do that more. Normal, because I did it. Over the years however I realized Christmas is not something that should be stressful. And I know a lot of people say it, but Christmas needs to be taught as a special holiday, one of the most important ones....and its not all about gifts. This is what I believe anyways. How about other moms out there?

JerseyGirl77

Asked by JerseyGirl77 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2012 in General Parenting

• My rule has always been 5 gifts each, one of which is a pair of new PJs they open up on Christmas Eve. I'm not trying to teach my kids that Christmas is about all their wildest wishes coming true, it's about love and family and coming together to enjoy the day for what really matters.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• agree.
    And love the PJ idea. I think I might just have to run out and grab them some. I want to make that a new tradition lol.
    JerseyGirl77

Comment by JerseyGirl77 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I agree that children don't need a ton of toys but, my girls have more than 5 gifts each. Of course they are still young so, they don't ask for really expensive items. Most of their gifts are in the $15-$20 range.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Yep! I actually bought to supplement what my parents are getting my kids - 2 are getting kindles so I got them cases, 1 is getting a 3DS so I got a case, 1 is getting a barn so I got some animals. A few stocking stuffers and they're happy.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I do tend to get a lot of gifts for my kids for Christmas, although most aren't toys. Several of the gifts go together. My youngest son is getting a microscope, prepared slides, empty slides, a couple of books about science (he's really into science, obviously). My oldest son wants the Skylanders game, so he's getting that, plus two sets of extra characters for that. My oldest son is getting neon sneakers he's been wanting. My youngest son loves penguins so he's getting a penguin shirt and fluffy penguin slippers. They're getting several gifts to share, like a movie, a couple of video games, and books. We also get a calender for my oldest son each year, which for some reason, is one of his favorite things.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Well I usually don't gift toys through out the year so Christmas I love to spoil them. Do they need it nope but i still give it. My kids give as well my oldest has been saving money all year and January 1st we will mail it off to the charity she chose. She wants it to go to girls who are not able to go to school in Asia. Christmas is about giving it I teach them you give when you can all year. It bring me more joy than them honestly.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Christmas is about giving it I teach them you give when you can all year. It bring me more joy than them honestly.

That's how I feel about it, too. My daughter probably gets too many toys, but I try to pick things that go together, and also things that inspire creativity and imagination. My daughter enjoys Littlest Pet Shop, My Little Pony, that kind of stuff, and she spends hours making up stories for the characters. I also try to get a few games that we can play together. Most of her gifts are inexpensive, and I shop all year for deals. My stepson gets fewer gifts, but they're more expensive. This year I got him a remote control helicopter, one of those ray guns that shoots vapor rings, a book of Star Wars origami, and an Angry Birds Star Wars game. I like to find things that keep his mind active, since he tends to get glued to video games at times. I spoil my kids, and love doing it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I agree. i spend the same dollar amount on each child so of course as they get older there are less gifts they do get more expensive with age. Lol
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I try to give one thing that is creative, one that is a book, one toy, and one outfit.
    That is the basis of Christmas gifts. The stockings and the santa gift are something else.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I'm a bit guilty of this, mainly because I only have one and not only is he easy to shop for but I feel like if there's only a few things than the tree will look empty lol. We got him 5 presents plus there are a few from other family members that will be under there so I think we'll be good lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2012