Do you know of a place that stay at home parents can go to during the winter?

A friend and I are thinking of opening a place where stay at home parents could come to hang out and talk while the kids, all different ages, could play in a supervised environment. My questions are: Have you heard of something like this before? and what could we offer that would make you want to keep coming back? Thank for any input

3AAAMom

Asked by 3AAAMom at 4:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Kind of like a huge playdate-we have one on base where i live and its great.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Kinda sounds like Discovery Zone or ChuckeeCheese which I loved when my kids were little. CEC though was very very noisy too physically small. I'd suggest tubes tunnels but also set activities like clay and handpaints too! Some of the tunnels and games iin DZ CEC are too big for the little ones. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Don't forget to add a small snack & lunch area equipped with booths to eat lunch at confortably. We would order pb&j for the kids & tuna for us. (don't forget drinks & snacks) Make sure you have food that appeals to both child & parents. We would play & end with lunch. Then go home for naps.
    CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 4:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• well a nice coffee/snack shop I believe would be good.. be sure to offer healthy snacks for the children.. and have sections for different ages for the children. Be equip with enough high chairs.. and a separate room for quiet/nap times, just in case.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I live in Phoenix, AZ and the Women's Resource Center has the environment you describe. Their is a supervised play area that children attend, while Mothers attend classes (on site), or research/read in the library, or work on the internet. Naturally, you can't leave the building with your children left behind and it's free.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I go to a play date where they have lots of differnt stations for the kids (of all ages). They might just be toys to play with. They also have a craft station and it changes every time you go. We usually have one once or twice a month and they last about an hour to an hour and a half.. Then we all get in a group and have a snack with story time. They usually pick 2 books and they ask questions as they go along. Then to close up we have song time. Something that has motions to get them involved.

I go 2another one where we have "mommy time" and the kids go into a room and play with a few adults. We meet twice a month. The 1st meeting we usually have a speaker or have something to talk about then the 2nd meeting we have craft time.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• A coffee shop type atmosphere would be great with an area for the kids to play. But that'll never happen where I live. sigh!
    bagjmama

Answer by bagjmama at 8:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yep they have one in my area. The Parent Resource Center. Its not just for stay at home moms, its open all year round and is free. They are open during the day and in the afternoon and some nights. They have all kinds of fun stuff to play with and soft comfy chairs and couches. they have a refrigerator coffee pot, and stove. We got there a few times a week.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I've been to a playdate at Starbucks and it was great for talking but kids running wild in a coffee shop was terrible. It might work better for others though. ?
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 1:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2009