how can you deal with someone who has depression?

My soon to be husband and friend for 17 years has depression. He has moods changes, and sadness.
He also says hurtful things then regrets them later.
I tried telling him to do something to keep his mind on the positive, but he can't seem to help himself.
By the way his medicine didn't do any good either.

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 4:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• hon ive been dealing with it for a yr with my husband
    Anonymous

• ok i have depression...usually i get really introverted and dont want to talk.i think your hub to be needs different meds.if it is chemical which it sounds..there is nothing you can do about it.he needs meds.but if its not he needs to talk about it.something is there.you have to find out what.you just have to be there for him.get him to a dr.he will be fine just b e patient...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• A person has to be persistent with depression, just like other illnesses, to get better. It's especially hard when you're down. I recommend trying as many meds as necessary to find the one that works. There is always something new if what's around isn't working. Medication AND counseling work best. Many times, depression is caused by emotional issues and they need to be resolved. Medication lifts you enough to be able to handle the issues and work through them. Do not settle for marrying a depressed man if he isn't going to do everything he can to get better. It can be a lonely life at best.
    Anonymous

• Has he considered counseling? and seeing his doctor about changing his meds? I have dealt with depression all my life and know what u mean.seeing a counselor would probably help him also if he would agree.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 6:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• well what type of meds was he on? and for how long? Medication for depression can take a few weeks before it becomes effective.. other times certain meds are better for some than others. Are you sure it's depression and not bi-polar.. etc. You need to look into everything before you say, well that one didn't work, what else is out there. Also try to get him to try meditation, it is a huge stress reliever and doesn't require medication. Also try to get him to try the goal sheet ideas.. every day set a goal for yourself and focus on acheiving that goal. Talking is another big thing. make sure he keeps on talking to SOMEONE about his problems..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2009