1 kidney and growth

Hi there. My son is going to be 9 months in a week and he has one kidney. I just wanted to know if having one kidney can cause a delay in his growth. He can sit up and everything but he's still kind of weak. My older son had developmental and physical delay when he was younger but he has both kidneys. So I wanted to know if his delay could be genetical or due to having one kidney.

Coensmom

Asked by Coensmom at 3:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why don't you ask his doctor?

Answer by older at 3:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• This is something you should talk to a doctor about. I doubt many of us could really answer this for you.

Answer by louise2 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I have been seeing the Dr. the Nephrologist I don't have to see until next year and his family doctor I see in Jan. I really am just looking to see if other parents have experienced this in the meantime while I wait
    Coensmom

Comment by Coensmom (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My SS has one kidney- it was blocked and only functioning at 5%. He's 23 now, 6"4, works as a ranch hand. Depends on the kid and the care I guess!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My Mom has one kidney because she had to have the other removed on the early 1960's. She had kidney stones & at that time they just removed the kidney. She's in her late 70's & in excellent health so you only need one kidney. She is not even on a restricted diet. If I were you & had questions about genetic issues. You can go to any Dr. or Pediatrician & they can refer you to a Geneticist. All they have to do is take a family history then a small amount of blood from you & your Husband & they can do a complete genetic check. I had it done for both my pregnancies & Insurance paid for it. Best wishes.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My niece was born with 1 kidney and has been on track with everything - she'll be 2 in Feb and you'd never know she has anything "wrong" with her. I'd look into something else, not the single kidney.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Hope ypu get the answer to your question soon, I cant really help you but here is a bump for you
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 7:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2012