All toys in the bedroom

What's up with that? My daughter's nanna is always fussing at me that I ought to make my little girl keep her toys in her bedroom and play there, but I've never understood that. I often felt shuffled out of the way as a kid, and I want my daughter to share our living space and interact with me and the rest of the family while she plays. It sometimes makes for a lot of clutter and mess in our small house, but I catch a lot of great play moments that I feel I would miss if my daughter were tucked away in her room with her toys. I'll have years to keep a neat house after she grows up. I saw in the question about the block maze in the living room that some people believe all toys should be in the bedroom. I'm not trying to argue; I'm actually curious to know the rationale behind that rule.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2012 in General Parenting

• I have a friend that does not allow any toys in any room other than bedrooms...she says she doesn't like the clutter of toys around. Me, on the other hand, allow toys anywhere they will fit. Not a room in our house that doesn't have at least a few toys calling it home.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• We had toy baskets in the living room until DD was 2. Now that she can play more on her own, her toys are stored in her room and she brings things out as she wants to play with them and they go back when they are done. Everyone keeps their things in their rooms and the common areas are for common activities.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• No idea. I don't allow toys to stay anywhere other than a bedroom, but if my kid is actively playing with something they're welcome to do it anywhere they want as long within reason.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I let my son play anywhere he wanted,and just picked it all up as part of the night routine
    I call that a "clean mess" and as long as i wasn't tripping on stuff,anything goes
    With an autistic kid,you just go with the flow

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• In our house we have his bedroom free of all toys. It is for relaxing and sleeping. That is it. It is cozy and maturely decorated but still age appropriate. We have a playroom designated for all toys. All toys are in his playroom. He can take them out but they must go back to their appropriate place within the playroom. It is a true wonderland of a playroom. A very big space. He can play in there or other parts of the house but toys are always returned the moment it is done being played with. My reasoning is simple. We all live in this house. I do not keep my items all over the place. In our shared space all things have a specific home. We all are to keep our home tidy, clean, and clutter free. This way we know where everything is and things operate very well. In the kitchen he has his own shelves, dishes, and so too the fridge. It is about personal responsibility and sharing space. I respect his space,
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My son has toys in the living room they are in a toy chest. The majority are in his bedroom
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My kids keep some of their toys in the bedroom, others downstairs in a storage system but they usually bring their toys to play wherever i am. But I actually prefer the majority of their toys out of the bedroom so it's a relaxing place where they will actually sleep.

Answer by missanc at 4:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Bedroom or play room ( some people use a extra bedroom for a play room) is for toys. At least that is the way I had it. No reason to have the whole house a mess. As I see it. I like order in my house. I do not like to trip over toys and hurt myself. That was just the way I was. Everybody is different. Not every one has the same rules for their house. Just how it is in this world. You want a cluttered living room. I don't.

Answer by louise2 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• our living room isn't big enough to have toys piled up in it. my kids have large bedrooms with more than enough room for them to play without bringing stuff in the living room
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My kids have a basket. They are allowed to bring toys back and forth to the living room to play with as long as they are cleaned up when they are done. Having the basket makes clean up easier. I see no reason to banish them to their rooms when they are more than capable of putting away thing they are not playing with- no clutter- no tripping hazards.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2012