80 levels of wrong: fired due to boss with poor self control and a jealous wife

Short version - dentist decides he's sexually attracted to his employee, confesses to his wife, they go to church for counseling, and decide the best way to save their marriage is to have a church counselor present when he fires the employee for jeopardizing their marriage.

Iowa Supreme Court: Firing Attractive Female Employee Because Of Wife's Objections Is Not Sex Discrimination

In Nelson v. Knight, (IA Sup. Ct., Dec. 21, 2012), the Iowa Supreme Court upheld a decision by dentist James Knight to fire Melissa Nelson, a dental assistant who had worked for him for over ten years, after Knight's wife became concerned that Nelson posed a threat to their marriage. Knight was becoming personally attracted to Nelson and he feared he would eventually try to have an affair with her if he did not fire her. Knight reached the decision to fire Nelson after he and his wife consulted with the senior pastor of their church. Knight arranged for another pastor from the church to be present and witness the conversation in which he fired Nelson, and also a subsequent conversation he had with Nelson's husband about the firing.  The state Supreme Court held that the firing did not amount to gender discrimination. AP reports on the decision.

The ALL-MALE Iowa court sees absolutely nothing wrong with this. Hopefully she takes this federal, and wins.

Another link for those with an aversion to the FOX/AP link used in the original article:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/melissa-nelson-dental-assistant-fired-for-being-irresistible-is-devastated/

Maybe someone else can explain this to me - how on earth is it NOT discrimination to fire someone because you find them sexually attractive?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I read this and found it disturbing yesterday. So does that mean you can not hire for being too attractive? I hope the higher courts decide to review this case. It sets back wonen's rights by oh ..... a hundred years or so. Seriously what a stupid ass employer.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• He wasn't "honest" with her. He tried to place on her his inability to control his sexual urges. It's called being. A Real man and a grown up.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My real problem with all this is WTH is everyone ASSuming that the lady would have had the affair with him in the first place? Just because she spoke to him doesn't mean she was attracted to him. I get that kind of sentiment alot with the girlfriends of some of my guy friends (and a wife or two). They seem to think the only possible reason I could have for talking to a man is because I want to have sex with him. I assure you, it is not! Thankfully, MOST of the guys who are married don't get that kind of crap from there wives.
    Also, WTH did the "counselor" (read: brainwasher) need to be there? Moral support? Who really needs moral support in the room with them to fire someone? It had to be, at best, embarrassing and, a worst, demeaning. I HATE when people think that pastors are liscensed counselors. All that is telling this man is the next time he gets a woody from a girl, have her fired. Problem solved.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2012