80 levels of wrong: fired due to boss with poor self control and a jealous wife

Short version - dentist decides he's sexually attracted to his employee, confesses to his wife, they go to church for counseling, and decide the best way to save their marriage is to have a church counselor present when he fires the employee for jeopardizing their marriage.

Iowa Supreme Court: Firing Attractive Female Employee Because Of Wife's Objections Is Not Sex Discrimination

In Nelson v. Knight, (IA Sup. Ct., Dec. 21, 2012), the Iowa Supreme Court upheld a decision by dentist James Knight to fire Melissa Nelson, a dental assistant who had worked for him for over ten years, after Knight's wife became concerned that Nelson posed a threat to their marriage. Knight was becoming personally attracted to Nelson and he feared he would eventually try to have an affair with her if he did not fire her. Knight reached the decision to fire Nelson after he and his wife consulted with the senior pastor of their church. Knight arranged for another pastor from the church to be present and witness the conversation in which he fired Nelson, and also a subsequent conversation he had with Nelson's husband about the firing.  The state Supreme Court held that the firing did not amount to gender discrimination. AP reports on the decision.

The ALL-MALE Iowa court sees absolutely nothing wrong with this. Hopefully she takes this federal, and wins.

Another link for those with an aversion to the FOX/AP link used in the original article:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/melissa-nelson-dental-assistant-fired-for-being-irresistible-is-devastated/

Maybe someone else can explain this to me - how on earth is it NOT discrimination to fire someone because you find them sexually attractive?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh gosh i read this this morning! WTH My husband comes and tells me some shit like that, it will be his ass kicked to the curb! So little self control and they are condoning his lack of self control like he really can't help it! Sad, Sick< and pathetic. She (the wife) should be ashamed also.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Yeah, I have a feeling the Federal Courts will see it for what it truly is! That is screaming sexual discrimination! What a load of crap!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Wow! That is fucked up. I'm sure she'll win if it goes to federal court. What's also scary is all the people who now seem validate church counseling as real licensed marriage counseling.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Yea, I seen that this morning on the News. I hope she brings it to a higher court. Heard the wife wanted her fired.

Answer by louise2 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I hope she puts his ass out of business....and then some

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I don't know. I get your point, and in that respect, it is wrong. But turn the situation around - would it have been wrong to fire her because she was hitting on him and trying to get hook up with him? That would be sexual harassment, which would be grounds for firing. As the dentist, and therefore the boss, he can't fire himself for wrongdoing, so his options are: risk doing wrong and facing the loss of everything (marriage, business, etc.) or remove temptation from his office and keep his marriage and business intact. Granted, he should have more self control, but obviously he didn't.

Of course, (and I don't know IA laws, so maybe it's not an at will state), but if I were in his shoes, I probably would have found a different reason besides "My pants pitch a tent every time I'm around you and my wife doesn't trust either of us to keep our clothes on." That was just a dumb ass move on his part to tell her the real reason.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Oh, and just to clarify - I'm not saying what he did was right. Just that I can somewhat see a point to what he did. Doesn't make it right, just that there was a point to it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• That would be sexual harassment, which would be grounds for firing.

Considering he texted her asking how often she has an orgasm, I'd say if anything he just opened himself up to an additional lawsuit over something she would've let go as poor judgment under other circumstances.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Considering he texted her asking how often she has an orgasm, I'd say if anything he just opened himself up to an additional lawsuit over something she would've let go as poor judgment under other circumstances.

Was that in there? I missed that. Well, that just further proves my point that he's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree (I'd usually go with sharpest knife or one of those metaphors, but you know...Christmas and all. lol). It's amazing how stupid men can be sometimes.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• So,all of a sudden she's too attractive to remain an employee??
    How about a memo about work attire?
    How about giving her an attractive severance package and a glowing recommendation so she could get another job easily?
    He could have worked it so no one looks like the bad guy/gal

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2012