Making Hummus....

Anyone have a good hummus recipe? I'm thinking about red pepper hummus since I have those on hand. I've never made it before though. I was thinking of making it for Christmas. Any suggestions?

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2012 in Food & Drink

• I usually just buy Sabra brand because my kiddos are picky about their hummus texture.

A friend, who regularly makes it, told me to make sure that I take the skins off of the chickpeas before you use them. It makes the texture much better.

We just use a can of chick peas, some olive oil, (garlic and tahini to taste.) I suppose you could add some peppers in too. Or use them as a garnish.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• My rule of thumb to a good hummus is soaking the dried chickpeas over night and then cooking them on low in the crockpot. The texture is lovely that way. I've never made any type other than plain. Oh, and a few dashes of cayenne are great too.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I use dry chickpeas, which I soak overnight and then cook in boiling water (never add salt until they're cooked!). I put them in the food processor with some tahini, olive oil, roasted garlic and lemon juice and salt to taste. I serve it with some paprika and ground cumin sprinkled on top, a drizzle of olive oil and some of the cooked chickpeas fried in a bit of olive oil.
    I'm not a huge fan of flavored hummus. I always make the plain version and just change the toppings, like roasted jalapeƱo, caramelized onion or roasted garlic.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• i do canned chickpeas with olive oil tahini and whatever else i want. basil or red peppers or pine nuts, whatev
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Where can you buy tahini?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I got mine at Kroger. You can get it a health food stores too. I have canned chickpeas.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I buy Tahini at Fred Meyers
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• You can find tahini on the peanut butter aisle.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Are garbanzo beans and chickpeas are the same thing?
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I had a bit of minced jalapeno and cilantro to mine ...yummy.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 10:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2012