What do you do for a kid who is ALWAYS in a bad mood?

He is 8 and has always been a 'serious' child but in the last year he has become so moody. He is always upset or angry about something. He throws tantrums, hurts his sister, tries to hurt me... we talked to his ped and she recommended adhd meds so we have an appt in Jan but I feel like this is not going to help his bad attitude. There are no consequences to big or rewards big enough to stem it. tonight he did not want to go in the store so he made it Hell for everyone in there until we were done and then while I was checking out he darted out the front door and this is fairly normal behavior for him! He has run out of his classroom 5 times this year because of one thing or another. He has been suspended so many times... He has no friends... he screams... what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What about the school Psychologist?? Is there a disruption in his life? That's what the Psychologists are there for. How is his family life & environment? Start there before you medicate him. I feel sorry for the poor little guy.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• first have him checked out by doc

also i think a change in diet always helps

http://www.feingold.org/

have to take out all the nastiest chemicals 100% to see if a change in behavoir

AND if it does not change bad behavoir- it is healthy not to eat that stuff

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• The school psychologist siad that he has severe adhd and I should see a psychiatrist for meds. He has a normal home life I guess... I mean he has everything he needs and then some. His dad works a lot but that is not new or anything. Like I said he has never been a 'all smiles' kind of kid and he has always had really bad tantrums but this always being in a bad mood in in the last year only. Nothing I know of has happened to cause him to be this way. I am just frustrated because I can't seem to fix it and it is like walkin on egg shells all the time in our home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• Therapy  sounds like the way to go with him.

Answer by louise2 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• What do you do for discipline? Our boys know the consequences of their actions. It starts at home. If they misbehave at home, the discipline matches the misbehavior. So for instance, if our 10 yr old wants to be noisy, and not go to bed the right way, he stands at the wall 10 minutes, if he can't stand still at the wall, we add on 10 minutes for each time he's told to stand still.
    That's the only example I can think of because honestly, we don't have perfect kids, but we have kids that know what's expected of them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• We were going to do therapy but we can't afford it. You have to meet the $800 delectable before you start paying the $15 co-pays and the visits at the sliding scale place were still $50 a visit and they wanted to see him once a week.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• If I could have edited my answer I would have. Anyway..... You can't let him know he's the one in control in your home, or he's going to do everything he can to make sure you know he does. If he's walking all over you, you have to stop him. He needs to know you demand respect, and that you will not tolerate his behavior.
    I don't believe in medicating unless it's a very last resort. IMO it sounds like he doesn't see you as an authority figure, and is using it to the fullest... I hope you find a solution. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• We have always done time outs but for him they end up being us holding his door shut while he trhows all of his things around the room and then when he is calm he has to pick it all up. We can't do anything else because he screams and flails and bites, scratches, ect... so sitting in a chair or standing in a corner was never going to happen. He also looses privileges like tv time, video game time and dessert. Taking those away usually leads to the tantrum where he starts trying to hurt people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• change his diet! first thing, not hard, just takes practice reading labels

http://feingold.org/adhd.php

therapy is great, do the therapist a favor change his diet right now

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I guess a good old fashioned spanking is out of the question?

Answer by louise2 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2012