Favorite holiday traditions from your childhood?

My grandma always set up a great big Nativity scene on a table draped with white cloth. She would make hills by putting boxes under the cloth, then add little trees. She had a handmade stable complete with Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, all the animals, shepherds, Wise Men and their camels, an angel, the whole crew. But the part that I remember so fondly is that each of us grandchildren got a sheep, with our name written on the bottom. The sheep would all be set up on the edge of the table farthest away from the stable at the beginning of Advent. Every time one of us got caught doing something thoughtful, haring, saying something nice to someone, etc, we got to move our sheep a step closer to the stable. Then, to get in once we got there, we each had to learn a prayer. My grandparents were Catholic. Anyway, we all tried our very best to be good and get our sheep to the stable on time. Thinking back, those silly sheep gave me some great memories. Maybe when I'm a grandma, I'll start that tradition. I wish I could do it now, but I just don't have the room.

What memorable traditions do you all have from holidays past?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2012 in Holidays

• My best memory is of my grandparents' home. They decorated every room & could've charged admission for the tour. I guess it was more of their tradition, but we all enjoyed it. :) That & the traditional Christmas meal that was passed down. Very yummy :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:35 AM on Dec. 24, 2012