Do you think it's strange for a 9 and 11 year old to SERIOUSLY still believe in Santa?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 24, 2012 in Holidays

• At 9, my now 11yr old asked the question that parents dread... "Is the Easter Bunny real" once I told him he put 2 & 2 together
    and figured out we were his Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny...
    But once we talked about it, I explained to him that there are many, many children who still believe in Santa... so he was to
    keep it to himself.
    Now in the 6th grade and 11yrs old, he has told me that he does have a couple of friends that are convinced that Santa is coming
    and Santa is real. As I asked him to do yrs before, he did not say anything to them, he says he doesn't want to spoil anything for
    them that they will find out soon enough. (these kids head over to the High school/Jr High nx yr)

So yes op there are children who still believe and is it strange, maybe to you or me, but not to them..and we are not here to
    discourage it just because we know, doesn't mean they HAVE to ..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• I personally don't think it's up to us to decide when another person's child gets to lose a little piece of their innocence, or a part of childhood magic. They grow up so fast as it is. The way I see it, no harm no foul. They have the rest of their lives to see living examples of the Boogie Man, let 'em have Santa! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Yes, but I find the stuff adults believe really surprising, too.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• 11 is a little odd, but I think a lot of 9 year olds still believe. Also if they aren't around other kids who don't believe then they have more of a chance of still believing even at an older age.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• My oldest son believed until he was 11. I believed until I was 12. Seriously. My older siblings never told the truth, they knew our mom would kill them. And it was never discussed at school. I remember being completely shocked and appalled that the Santa name tags were written in my mom's handwriting.

Maybe I was a total lame-o, but I really believed until that time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• no-
    my daughter was 9 or 10 when she figured it out and my son was 12

enjoy it- it won't last much longer
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:29 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• No but it annoys me when people just have to suck he whimsey out of a child's life.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• my neighbor's daughter (11 last spring) still believes in santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, fairies and all that magic stuff

YES, i think it is strange
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• no. my 8 & 11 yr still believe. of course, my 11 yr old isn't always the sharpest tack, God love him.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 11:34 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Honestly, I don't see the problem with it.

If they want to believe in Santa, let them.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2012