Non-Profit Organization

Hi
I would like to start a non-profit organization for young girls in the Miami FL. area and wanted to know is there anyone here who has started one and wouldn't mind giving me some advice on starting it and what I really need to do make it a success.

mizzcjlj4

Asked by mizzcjlj4 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2012 in Money & Work

• I work in non-profit, I don't know much about starting a non-profit other than what I have researched because I would eventually like to start a non-profit. First, I would check your local area to see if there are other organizations that meet the needs of what you are wanting to do. Not saying that you can't or shouldn't start your own even if there is another organization but it will help you decide if the need is strong enough. Second, look into what it would take to start a 501-c3 organization. There are several grants and funding opportunities with this type of non-profit structure. Once you find out the details, see what you can do to start working on getting that. I would also go ahead and be thinking about a mission statement and start talking with people who would make good board members to get their feedback. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• For any new business, profit or not for profit, I recommend doing as much research as possible and learn how to write a killer business plan. Out line not only your mission but your vision statements. Look at how you want to structure your organization, and who will be on your board. You also need to find out how to become a non-profit (501c3) in your state.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:50 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Call 211 but not today the are off for the holiday.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2012