Jaundice

My 11 day old son eats good and poops and pees, has gained 7lbs since his visit on wed but he's still really yellow to me, his billi levels were 18 then 18.5, then last Wednesday they were 16.5, how long does it take for it to clear, can it come back and should I get his billi retested even though its dropped? My pediatrician is "ok" with it because his weight gain but I'm not sure if I am...

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the doc is ok with it dont worry- but if youre still nervous strip him down and let him get some sun. like near a window or something.
    Only my last one needed the billi lights. all the others just needed a little natural sun.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Yeah he never got high enough for the phototherapy. Only thing is is we live in the country in NY and its all gloom, big pines and snow out this way :(
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• If the doc is ok and the levels are falling, I wouldn't worry too much. My youngest had to wear a bilibelt for just over a week. As long as the levels are going in the right direction, you're good.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Your 11 days old baby has gained 7 pounds??? How is that possible??
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• @feralax, uhm like a black light?

@nimue, hahahaha omg I meant oz not lbs!!
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Sit him by the window (sun).
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Levels are going down. You are good. If you want a re test schedule one. Glad it is 7 oz and not lbs.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• I was hoping thats what you meant!!! And yeah the levels are going down so its ok... All of my boys were jaundiced, and your baby's levels aren't that bad... Take advantage of any sunny moments and put your little one in the window with just a diaper on... :) And no, a flouerscent light is not the same as a black light...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2012

• Ok I wasn't sure. And yes,7 oz, 7 lbs would be crazy. I didn't even realize I wrote that haha.
    I was just worried because he was still so yellow , but maybe cos his levels were elevated for so long..I will probably request another blood test to be sure..
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2012