Did the unspeakable.........forgot to defrost the 23LB TURKEY!!!!!!!!!

Is Christmas dinner down the drain? I have had it sitting out on the counter for the last 3 hours and now we have it in a cooler filled with cold water.....
Right now it's 11:20pm and we will be eating, or were planning on it, at 3pm....is all lost? Do you think it will defrost in time? What else can I do? If all else fails, we do have a ham that we could use for back up but we didn't want to use that for tomorrow if at all possible.
I won't be stuffing this one.....give me the cold, hard facts (no pun intended)!

CaliBlondeGirl

Asked by CaliBlondeGirl at 12:21 AM on Dec. 25, 2012 in Holidays

• According to this website, it will take about 12 hours to defrost and 5 hours to cook. So, if you started defrosting it tonight at 8, then it should be ready to start preparing by 8 am. As long as you have it in the oven by 10 am, you should be good. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:32 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Oh, I felt heart sick when I read the Question. Glad JeremysMom helped ya out... Sounds promising.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:40 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Having it sit is cool water is the best you can do,. I the refridgeration you generally gess 3-4 days.
    on th counter is not recommendedbut I have done the first part that way a couple times with no problems.
    As soon as you gut up work thos giblets out and prop it in the sink with cool running water flwing through the inside of the turkey. As you can reach in ad pull out what crystals you can. Weith luck you will get you turkey,
    If the legs and wings easily move and the body is pliable you should be able to cook it but not stuffed.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• If you are going to be up for a while, you can use warmer water to get the defrosting process going. The reason it isn't recommended for longer is that bacteria can build up, so you have to change the water every fifteen or twenty minutes and keep turning the turkey over often. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:08 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• i don't think it will be thawed out that quick. I would go buy a pre-cooked ham and bake it.
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 7:37 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• If you had put it in the oven at 300 degrees at around 7 am (even frozen) your dinner would be on time...
    but at the time you are providing, no it would not work... I would do the ham...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:25 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I would have put it in warm water for a bit, it seems to thaw it out pretty fast
    I had my 22 lb turkey in the fridge since thursday and the dang thing is still frozen today for Christmas! So I too will do the warm water!!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 1:08 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• So, how did the turkey turn out?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:30 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• @JeremysMom.....it was the moistest turkey I've ever cooked! It was the first time I had ever cooked one without stuffing it. I put homemade herb butter under the skin and it was crispy and juicy! Defrosted it in a cooler in cold water overnight then put it in the oven about 9:45am and cooked it until 3pm. PERFECT. Used a meat thermometer and carved that puppy up! I will be intentionally not defrosting my turkey next year and not stuffing it either because it came out SO AWESOME! Thanks for all the advice gals! I was freaking out! lol
    CaliBlondeGirl

Comment by CaliBlondeGirl (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2012