Do you think your child should send a thank-you note for a birthday card...

that had no money in it, that the card barely said anything but " and so" ?
I know it sounds petty, but I thought if it was just a "card" with no monitary inside that it basically was just a card, no reason to send a letter saying thank-you for a "card"...

Asked by madmueller at 1:06 AM on Dec. 25, 2012 in General Parenting

• It's polite but not required according to many etiquette sources

Answer by feralxat at 1:12 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Is it possible that maybe she forgot to put the $20 in it or maybe it fell out at some point? Especially, if she has given him $20 every year.

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:22 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• For a birthday card? No. A thank you from the mouth is good. Anything else, always.

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Really No. I would never expect a thank you card in return for nothing.

Answer by m-avi at 1:22 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I have never sent a thank you card for cards sent to me. I have never heard of that... Have I been being rude my whole life?!

Answer by staciandababy at 1:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• You or the child should acknowledge it. It was nice of them to take the time to send him something rather than nothing.

Answer by uwmilf at 1:59 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I wouldn't bother, for just a card with no money and no real message. Then would the person who sent the original card have to senda thank-you note for the thank-you note?

Answer by Ballad at 2:23 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I would say no. My best friend is going through this with her own dad. Is this person an aunt or a cousin or something? My best friend's dad is mad at her so he's taking it out on not just her but on the kids as well by denying them simple pleasures such as visitations, or keeping his word like when he says he's going to take her son to dinner and then something else of his choice (for his birthday mind you), he brings her son home after only an hour or 2... He's quite petty. I would say, if the relative gave nothing you should return the favor and give nothing back. It shows how good of a mom you are though and that being grateful is important, however you're NOT being petty by sending nothing, PLUS you are standing by your kids. You're an awesome mom don't lose any more sleep over it :) your kids will understand you are defending them if not now, when they're older. :)

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 3:22 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• You should never expect other people to always give out money or gift to you or your kids. That to me is being selfish. Money hungary.

You should be glad the person did anything.

Answer by louise2 at 7:32 AM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Thank yous are not expected for cards. You can say thanks for the card when and if you see the person, but no formal thank you is required.

Answer by silverthreads at 7:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2012