Is hurting yourself sin?

If life and your body is a gift from God, do you think hurting yourself (= disrespecting the gift) is sinful? I can't help to think so. At the same time I seem to be unable to stop it. Is my faith not strong enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Dec. 25, 2012 in Religious Debate

• http://www.cafemom.com/about/resources.php#mental

I don't believe in God so I don't believe in "sin" in the same manner as say a Christian. However I find hurting oneself an incredibly stupid thing to do. However I also understand that it can be a sign of deeper emotional or mental health problems. You need to seek professional help. Especially if you claim you can't seem to stop it.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• In my religion it is a sin, but being aware that a behavior is wrong isn't the only thing needed to stop it. It has nothing to do with how strong your faith is, but sometimes the pull is too strong and you need to seek help.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I believe it is a sin, it is a gift from God and we only get this one body so we should take care of it instead of hurt it! your feelings does not mean your faith in God is not strong, it means you need help and you should seek it now.

Answer by older at 9:21 AM on Dec. 26, 2012

• As a Christian, I believe the body is the temple of God, and should be treated with the respect it deserves. That means keeping healthy, eating the proper foods, resting often. Sometimes I succeed at this; sometimes I fail. God also told us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Hurting yourself is not a loving act, any more than hurting someone else would be. But as a person who has inflicted physical pain on myself to create an outlet for my deeper emotional pain that had no way out, I also believe that hurting your body to express the pain in your heart, mind, or soul is a cry for help. Confront your emotional agony, probably through counseling, and your desire to hurt your body will go away. Your religious beliefs should support you, not be a source of guilt because you haven't treated your body well. Tomorrow is a new day; a new chance for you to live the way you want to, not the way you're used to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2012

• The body is the temple of God, in my religion. We are told not to indulge the body, however, but to care for it well.
    To harm it is to do something wrong.

HOWEVER, the mind is the key to controling the body. If you break your arm, it does not function proerly. Yu do not blame the arm and call it sinful. You go t a doctor to have it cared for and allow it to mend and be whole again.
    It is the same with the mind. Something is not quite right in the way the mind is processing the hurt tat the body is being given. The mind is hurt and needs a Dr. to help the mind to heal. We all need help. Dr.s were given their abilities so that we can get the care we need.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:46 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Depends on what you mean by "hurting" yourself. If you mean cutting, bein in bad relationships, over eating, binge drinking and that kind of stuff, I think that is something you need counseling for. Faith is good, but faith can only get you so far.
    If you mean getting tats and piecrcings as "hurting yourself," then I don't think of that as really hurting yourself. Then again, Im not a Christian, so keep that in mind when considering my opinion.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Faith is important, but you can have faith and see a doctor if you're hurting yourself physically.  We can all hurt ourselves in certain ways, such as, being in destructive relationships, over eating, ect.  However, there comes a  time when we need to seek medical intervention for our problems.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I don't think it's a "sin" per se, but I have pagan beliefs, which don't really have sin, exactly. I believe hurting someone is wrong, and you're a someone, so hurting yourself is wrong. But if you're deliberately hurting yourself, that's not about spiritual faith or religious beliefs. That's you being in so much emotional pain that you think this is a solution, and spiritual faith and religious beliefs can't necessarily solve that. A good therapist and a real desire in you to seek out that help and work on finding out what's making you do this and how you can deal with it in a more constructive way CAN help solve it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:37 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Anyone hurting themselves knowingly needs more than just their religious belief to get them thru the pain they have inside.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I wouldn't focus on the religious aspect of this, I'd focus on getting help. That is something God, the Universe, whatever, will greatly respect.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2012