Does your Religion forbid you from taking someone off Life Support?

My DH and I are watching Fringe. In the show, a Catholic family removed their daughter from Life Support.
DH said he couldn't imagine Catholics would to this.

So, I thought I'd throw it out there to see what you ladies had to say on this topic.

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2012 in Religious Debate

• No. I believe there is a time and place for everything, including making that decision for a loved one.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• My Catholic family has done so twice. Ultimately, humanity and compassion are stronger than doctrine. In my faith it's not something that's even on the radar, it has no religious implication.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Sometimes, it's not about religion. I remember when my friend's father (we were all Catholic) committed suicide. He left behind a wife and five children. The family really could not have made it through without the help of the Priest. Never once did he say anything negative. During the service, he touched on it to answer the heaven or hell issue briefly, but told them in the end it was God's decision..... and that he couldn't answer for. I thought it handled it beautifully.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• The Catholic church is not against taking someone off of life support. 

The Church  believes ordinary means must be used to support life.  Extraordinary means are optional.   Extraordinary means do not offer reasonable hope of benefit or include excessive expense, or pain.   Consider the treatment in relation to the benefit provided to the patient.  (see the Vatican’s Declaration on Euthanasia, #IV, 1980).  Euthanasia and assisted suicide are considered wrong, however dying is seen as a process and it's up to the caregivers in charge to determine, within the best of their abilities, what treatments will benefit the patient while causing the least amount harm to them.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I am Catholic, and I agree with RyansMom's answer. We are not expected to use extraordinary means to extend life. If I were dying, even at my age, my family would not be under any moral or religious obligation to keep me on life support when there is no chance of recovery.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I am catholic, and well, a part of me for humanity reasons would say keep my family member on for as long as we possibly can..power of prayer! But then reality is when the Dr. says there is nothing humanly possible left to be done and then it's time to say a prayer and let them go...
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 6:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• It depends on the situation of the person on life support, but Catholics can and do remove loved ones from life support and it is within the bounds of our religious beliefs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• In Judaism it would be forbidden. Of course every case is unique and a competent Rabbinical authority should be consulted. But in the general sense, it would be forbidden, which is why one shouldn't choose to put a loved one on life support lightly.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 26, 2012

• My faith ties in a lot with the value that I have for life, but not to the point where I would require someone needlessly suffer or deny what diagnosis could tell us about whether someone would recover or not, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I had a sibling on life support and the priest was there when it was removed. No issues with the Church and off of support. My sibling suffered brain death and was try pulpy not alive but vents kept the organs going. And the church supported donating organs.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2012