What's the record

for most cabinet appointees dropping out of consideration?

Cause Gregg just flew the coop
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/02/12/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4798161.shtml

So much for that record breaking bi-partisan cabinet.

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, Gregg said he has “found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me.”

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I applaud him for having the scruples to decline a position to appease his personal beliefs. Rarely do you find a person who is willing to forgo an opportunity in favor of one's conscience. It is refreshing.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 5:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• amen Gregg...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• So what do you mean, OP? Are you thinking that other Congressmen and Representatives will quit?
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• brandy, Gregg was one of Obama's 3 Republican cabinet appointments. He didn't quit congress - he quit Obama's cabinet and kept his job in congress.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to be with all of those turkeys.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Can you imagine being the rep in that cabinet?? that would SUCK
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• shame on him for throwing away an opportunity to show bipatisan and to change what he doesn't like. I'm sure that his beliefs didn't change overnight, but rather that he gave in to pressure from other republicans.

Anonymous

• Answered at 4:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 by: NotPanicking
    brandy, Gregg was one of Obama's 3 Republican cabinet appointments. He didn't quit congress - he quit Obama's cabinet and kept his job in congress.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I keep up with the major stuff in politics, but I have a 3 yr old and a 16mo old... so I don't get much time to read or watch the news.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You can't fault him for dropping out, but it disappoints me. I would rather have a person that disagrees with the president in close proximity so that he can change his mind or suggest differences.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Anon that didn't even make sense. He was nominated. THEN saw how NOT bi partisan President Obama was being on those 2 issues and so decided that the principles he has had ALL ALONG wouldn't be considered by this administration and so dropped out. No repub pressure, just good old fashioned ethics. Difficult word to comprehend with all the recent nominees (and appointees) behaviors!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009