Quick before my power goes out again.... Help!!! ** Right Category?? It's about a stove**

I've been having rolling blackouts since 10 this morning. Sometimes it's out for an hour sometimes the lights just flicker, sometimes it's a quick on and off. Either way it's becoming a pain in my _ _ _.

I have a gas stove with an electrical ignitor. <~~~~ I spelled that wrong lol

My question is to you ladies... Can I still light it without the ignitor? <~~~~ again

On my stove I I have to push in, then click click click and whooooosh! Fire.

When the power goes out I now that I can still turn the nob and gas will come out. Can I just stick a match in there?

I'm dead broke and just about every place around me is closed for Christmas so I HAVE to cook!!

MUST FEED BABIES!! LoL

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 9:01 PM on Dec. 25, 2012 in Technology

• Yes you can. Have the matches ready so you won't leave the gas running for any length of time. And watch you eyebrows! Stay warm!!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• do you have any canned goods? I wouldnt recommend using a gas stove given what you just typed here?

do you have any family?

google and try to find at least a convienence store that might be opened?

KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Thanks!!
    I'm doing as much as I can with the power on.

Another question: If I'm already cooking on the stove when the power goes off, will the fire keep on a going??
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Closest family is over an hour away because they left for the holidays. Canned goods, yes. I'm trying not to go anywhere. Our van is more likely to tip with me driving... not used to it. The winds are 40-45 mph.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• oh wow. hope everything works out. if you have canned foods, just use the microwave.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I just googled this and according to what I read the answer to both of your questions is yes.
    Just remember to turn the knob off when you're not using it.
    Stay safe!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• Kay, she's talking about using her gas stove if the power goes out. Microwave won't work in a power outages.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• i was thinking using it real quick while she has power.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• The stove top should stay on if it's already lit, because the oven cycles off and on to keep an even temperature, I'm not so sure about it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2012

• I know I can't do my oven...it does cycle. Thank you ladies. Like i said... I'm running around doing the most right now.

If I'm super lucky the power won't go out again...it's i'm just lucky, the power will go out after i'm done cooking.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Dec. 25, 2012