Did finding out your child had ADHD, Autism, or another disorder provide you a sense of relief?

From just a few weeks old I always said there was something just a little bit...different about my son. For years I was told "it's just his age" or "he'll grow out of it" or "that's just him" and while all of these things may be true, still I felt like there was just something...different but yet hearing all these things made me question my ability as a mother. Was he....different...because of something I was or wasn't doing for him? Finally when he started school his teachers noticed it too and recommended he be assessed. He's now being evaluated for possible ADHD or Autism spectrum and I was surprised that I actually felt RELIEVED. He still has some testing to do before a conclusion is determined but now when we're in public and he makes his squaks and squeaks or the impulsivity takes over and he suddenly jumps up or rolls over the stares we get aren't as hard to handle. While I don't feel the need to explain to everyone why he does this, just knowing that IT'S NOT ME and that my child isn't just a undisciplined brat, it's just that maybe he needs a little help, and we finally might get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in General Parenting

• While my kids don't have these issues, having answers can be a relief. It can also help because you can learn from other parents how to manage similar situations successfully.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Both of my boys have ADHD. Finally getting my oldest diagnosed was kind of a relief, yes. But for me, I think it was mostly because I knew he had it, but didn't want to medicate him, so I was avoiding an official diagnosis. I was trying everything else I could find, hoping to avoid it. I guess I was kind of in denial, even though I knew and basically accepted it. And even when we did have to resort to meds, having that "this is him, this is something he has, it's not my parenting, it's not him hating me and deliberately trying to make life hell for all of us" made it easier.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• yes it was a huge relief
    liadotwtd

Answer by liadotwtd at 1:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Yes, very much so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I think my first reaction was denial. I didn't want to believe he could have something that he wouldn't just outgrow or eventually just get caught up. :(

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Like mrsmom, my first reaction to the suggestion of autism spectrum disorder was denial. But my primary knowledge of autism was the "Rain Man" type. I spent that summer doing a lot of reading, and it did lead to a sense of relief.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• It was a huge relief, at least in the knowledge that my stepson wasn't a bad kid, he wasn't just being defiant because of poor parenting, he had a disorder with a name and some treatment possibilities.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• yes and no. It was a relief knowing that i had been right that something was wrong but then i was scared to wondering what we could do to help and at that time wondering what kind of life they would lead.
    decembercherish

Answer by decembercherish at 9:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2012