Formula!

I decided to supplement breast milk and formula , I sent my 13 day old son with my brother so I could run errands (bitter cold out, on foot)
Well he must've run out of milk bc he bought emfamil A.R. (For spit up)
We never used that kind and since I'm new to this , I'm curious if its to stop spit up if it'll have any adverse effects on him. I'm a worry wart because I haven't had a newborn in years lol.

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No but I'm surprised your little guy drank it. He's a trooper! I switched formulas when my Daughter was about 2 months & she wouldn't drink as much as usual for about 3 days. He'll be fine, maybe get the poopies (since he's not used to it) or nothing at all.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• If it is a breastfed baby the formula will cause gas constipation and pain. No matter what kind it is. Huge difference on their delicate systems.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Mix it with your breast milk to start!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• @ilovemypaulie,
    He took it surprisingly well

@stacie, so I've heard (the constipation)
    Hopefully it'll help a little as far as him always being hungry. Cos my nipples are raw

@jersey, I will probably do that, my brother already fed him the formula alone :/
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• He's 2 weeks old and that is a notorious time for a first growth spurt. I would nurse as much as possible because that is the only way you are truly going to make enough for him.

That being said, you'll just have to see how he fares in terms of the formula and his tummy. Congratulations on him taking it. Mine would have rather starved than take a bottle, let alone one of formula.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• @balagan,
    Yeah he seems to be okay with it. I am still nursing as well. I can't bring myself to do simply formula. I enjoy nursing :)
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• The more formula you give, the harder it's actually going to be on your supply. You WANT him to be doing what he's doing to increase supply. If your nipples are raw, then you have a bad latch and need to see an IBCLC immediately. Do it tomorrow.

Every bottle of formula has a negative impact on supply by depriving your body of the signal to make milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I am still nursing and pumping when I don't nurse
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• The pump can be hard on the nipples too. Are you using either breastmilk or lanolin on them between feedings? that will help with the rawness.

You might want to read this: http://www.health-e-learning.com/articles/JustOneBottle.pdf

I'm a big believer in making sure I know all the angles.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Maybe your brother can run errands for you-- or pick up a good carrier so you can wear your baby & take him along.
    GL!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2012