Mother-In-Law talk ....

Merry Christmas & Happy 2013 to you !

We visited my MIL for Christmas, and as she was sitting next to my husband, she told him:
"Isn't this TV lady really gorgeous? Tall, Blonde, beautiful, super-skinny, clever and sooo successful !
Don't you really admire her? I do !"
I was wondering whether this type of discussion is common among in-laws and sons. . .
Especially because within the 3 years that I've known her, she has NEVER said anything positive about me, ever....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in Relationships

• Lol I don't know if it's common, but it reminds me of the time I first met my MIL when my husband and I first started dating. We were at her house and my husband and his brother were watching a music video and my BIL kept going on how pretty the chick in the video was and must have said something to the extent of "isn't she hot?" and my husband said "yeah...". My MIL snapped around and said "How dare you comment on another woman in front of yours!!" LOL. I wasn't offended at all but it was pretty damn funny!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• God Bless your MIL ! She 's the exact opposite to mine!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• MIL is testing how simple you are. If you get jealous of a tv personality, it shows her you are insecure and possibility causing her son unhappiness. My MIL used to do it all the time in the beginning of our relationship. She stopped because I never gave in to her antics. Now she is doing it to DH's younger brother who is ten years younger. And she tries to get everyone on her band wagon. I refuse. Don't let her pettyness bother you.
    Anonymous

• Thank you Anonymous, this is a great point. The issue is that when she playes her games - which typically are much more harsh than this- I'm not happy, and my husband won't talk to me, or I won't talk to him for DAYS. So I don't know what to do, as he's a Mama's boy, and she knows how to intervene, manipulate, and make my life miserable....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• my MIL is very competitive with her son - she always wants him to tell everyone that her cooking, baking, gifts, whatever is better than everyones - and will try to compare me and her and ask him which he likes better - like i dont care which he likes better but its just weird that she tries to compete with me for her sons attention
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 3:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• when i say which he likes better i mean food or gifts or whatever not person - just re read and it sounded funny lol
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 3:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Luckily for me my Husband always picks me over his mother so i dont have that problem but i feel for you i would hate that!!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 3:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• What did your DH say back to her?

Answer by louise2 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• My mil would never talk about another lady like that whether or not my husband was around. She even went so far as to make sure all my husbands ex girlfriends pics were taken out of the photo albums!

Answer by missanc at 3:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• My DH husband said "YES MOTHER" ... as usual... lol, he's 56 yrs old and still mama's boy ....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2012