What did you get your MIL for Christmas?

I'm just curious. About 3 years ago, we got my mother-in-law a cute Coach purse. She got upset and told me not to spend that much money on her. So, the following year I made her a photo yearbook. I figured that since doesn't live in the same state as us, it would be great for her to have pictures of the kids throughout the year. (My husband actually suggested just pictures...I thought a photo yearbook would be nicer.) Last year I made another photo yearbook, but she wasn't able to come up for the Holidays due to work. This year she did come. I made her another photo yearbook. Since we spent Thanksgiving with his dad, we planned on spending Christmas with my family. So, we planned on going to dinner on Christmas Eve with my in-laws. Unfortunately, I got sick...so my husband and the kids went to dinner. An hour and half later they come back. I asked if they opened presents, and he said no. I asked him if he wanted to stop by there before my family party. He didn't want to, but I told him it would be a nice thing to do. So...on Christmas day...we went to his parents house...we start getting our jackets off and my MIL comes into the room and says..."you guys are sooo cheap! Next year...I want the pictures and something else". My reply was...yea...I think we should move somewhere closer to my work so that I won't be spending so much money on gas...there was much more I wanted to say of course, but I was trying to be nice. I barely know this lady. My husband and I have been married for 6 years and she has visited us about once a year. I told my husband that I am no longer going to buy stuff for his family. It is up to him to pick out their gifts. So...what do you ladies get your MIL and/or roughly how much do you spend? BTW...she has never taken home a gift we have given her....I see it laying around in the in-laws house....

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 5:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in Relationships

• she sounds greedy and selfish imo, i'm lucky to have such a wonderful mil :) we got her an area rug and throw pillows for her living room (she went with me and picked them out lol)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I wouldn't get her anything either. I don't get mine anything...she's not much of a mother to DH and never has been. She's in and out of our lives on her own little whims and only when convenient for her or she has something up her sleeve to cause problems. My husband hasn't really talked to her much this year.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• SO bought her a harley davidson sweatshirt, 60

I birthed her another granddaughter
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Once we had children we no longer give them gifts. When I go over my MIL's on Christmas Eve, we bring wine & a poinsettia or table arrangement. They buy the Grandchildren gifts but not us. We do a grab bag with my family. Pick a name out of the hat & a $100 limit.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I bought her what she bought me.... JACK SHIT.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• We got her a Diamond Candle...she loves it.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 5:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I picked up this bag about a year ago:

Then, throughout the year I'd buy some yarn here and there and filled it with differen colors of yarn. I also got a couple of cute grandmother sayings from walmart too. My daughter even picked out a few skiens. One was this hideous (to me), neon, varigated rool of puke. But my daughter loved it, and a cousing immediately asked if Gramma would make her something with it.

My MIL very much takes the intent behind gifts. I love her to pieces for it too.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• My in-laws live out of state, so we just sent them a gift basket from Harry and David.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• These earrings and for her and my FIL a set of wrought iron picture frames.

earrings_zpsd42cdb7c
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I don't get my MIL anything. It is up to my husband to purchase gifts for his own family. It isn't my fault he never does.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2012