Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Lowering child support

I moved and I have not changed the child support order because I am making more money. However, I am not sure how to go about it exactly do I close one support order in my former state or just inform them about my move and than change it to my new state. Not sure. any information would be appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • You need to contact the child support agency you are currently dealing with to give them the new information. And depending on the difference in the increase in your income, it may not make that much of a difference in the support ordered amount.


    Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

  • Yes. Contact the child support office.

    Your income should not affect the amount of child support you receive? I thought it was based on the male's income.

    Answer by staciandababy at 7:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

  • ^^staci- they calculate support based on both parents' income.


    Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

  • Only in certain states ^^^

    In some states it's only based on the non-custodial parent's income.

    Answer by 3libras at 7:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

  • ^^oopps, my bad 3libras. I thought they would need both. (they do here in OH) What if the custodial parent is well off, but the non-custodial parent isn't? Hmmm...

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

  • In some states that doesn't matter. Where I am, it's soley based off of the non-custodial parents income.

    OP you have to check with the state.

    Answer by 3libras at 7:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

  • my state is based on both incomes because when I opened it they needed my paystubs ect. however, not sure about the new states law. i will doublt check with the child support agency. I just hope I can do it all through fax and mail.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.