Did your baby pass a bowel movement while still inside you ?

When I was in labor the Dr wasn't there yet, I knew baby was coming b/c of the urge to push. The nurses made me get on my side and closed my legs, I was so upset b/c I couldn't hold it and it really hurt. I could feel the head coming out already. Then my mom heard the nurse say that the baby did poop and that's when the dr came in. When my baby came out she was pooping a lot, they let me see her and hold her for a few secs and then took her. Did this happen to anyone else ? were there any consequences for baby pooping while still inside you ? does anyone know why that happens ?

Star88

Asked by Star88 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes but not like that. I had to have my water broken and when they did it, that's when they noticed the meconium. Immediately they gave me a shot of pitocin to speed up delivery but when it was time to push, I pushed and the doctor was there, I wasn't made to hold him in, that seems really wrong!! They explained before hand that they would need to have him cleaned and checked before they handed him to me (which was actually perfectly fine with me) so when he came out, they checked and cleaned him (but he never left the room) and all was fine.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Mine did. I know that they had to have a pediatrician standing by to check her at delivery because of it. She got checked and was fine. I don't know why it happens. In my case she was well over due and that may have contributed to it. There were no consequences in my dd's case.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I guess it happened b/c she was stressed from the fact that she had to come out and they made me hold her in. That was a terrible experience for me and think that they should of delivered the baby themselves. IDK much about that but nurses should have a little training in delivering babies for emergency situations like that ..... JMO !!!!
    Star88

Comment by Star88 (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• It's not uncommon, it just happens sometimes. My 5th did. They have to do extra checks to make sure baby didn't aspirated poop into his/her lungs but typically there are no lasting effects.

Answer by missanc at 10:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• My oldest and youngest did.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2012