Are people living in cold weather more prone to sickness?

I really want to know. I wonder if weather makes it worse or better. Maybe it's an individual thing.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 10:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in Health

• I was sick much less often in MN than I was in Texas so, I'm not sure if weather has much to do with it
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I don't know that they are sick more often, but I think you're more likely for something small to turn into something more serious. When we lived in WI and IL, my husband would get a little cold that would turn into bronchitis. Then about half the time it turned into pneumonia, and twice he ended up in the hospital with blood clots in his lungs with the pneumonia. In the 7 years we've lived in the desert, he's had nothing more serious than a mild cold. He just can't handle the cold, damp weather.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I do not have any statistics to offer. My personal feeling it that you are born with a certain set of genes. You with be more prone to certain ailments than others because of this. You might think of it like allergies. If you are allergic to the pollen of a cypress tree you might have more problems where they are most common.

Cold does not cause disease unless you consider frostbite a disease or illness.
    Heat does not cause illess as such either.

You just take precautions so you can deal with the environment you are in.

I will say that if you are used to one extreem or the other (cold or heat) and move to the other extreme you will have more problems until your body adapts ( sometimes years)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• Dardenella, I agree with your theory. I have a friend who's parents are from Italy and moved to Australia. She is now in the USA in the NW, where the winters aren't warm. She has been here just a few years and she is always sick. We had this discussion that her genes aren't meant for this climate. But who knows.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I just read that cold weather helps immunity.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I don't think so. I live in Los Angeles now, rarely sick, lived in Wyoming for 6 years, rarely sick. I think it's genes, and for some people how well they take care of themselves.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I read an article somewhere recently that said people in cold climates pass around germs more just because they're cooped up inside during the winter months. But the question would make for an interesting scientific or statistical study of some kind.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:02 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I've lived in a cold climate my whole life, so don't have much to compare it to. My whole family has been getting the flu shot for years. So I believe that factors in. I'm not saying we never get sick, but it's not that often. We've been very lucky. I think when you live where it's cold & you are stuck inside a lot, that will lead to more chances of exposure from others.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2012