Has anyone done a "do it yourself" divorce?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2012 in Relationships

• Umm, WTH is a do-it-yourself divorce? Even if you don't hire a lawyer (which I would say is a bad idea) for it to be legal you still have to include a judge.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• No, and I wouldn't get a divorce without a lawyer, it's likely to cost you more both in stress and finances in the long run than paying a decent lawyer will in the beginning.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• My ex and I did it--you file the papers but don't hire a lawyer--then again, we had nothing to fight over. No kids, no assets, no real estate. I wouldn't recommend it if there's anything that has to split between you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:33 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Do you mean like getting all of his shit, putting it into a garbage bag, changing the locks with a piece of paper saying "see ya, don't wanna be ya?" And then sending the bill from your divorce lawyer.....like that?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• lol. I'm not sure what a DIY divorce is, but my parents "separated" and were not in a relationship from the time I was 9 until my mom passed away 2 years ago. They still got along and settle child support/custody through the proper channels without disputing.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Doing it now.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 2:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• No, my ex and I actually started out trying to agree on everything and met with the same lawyer to put it all in writing. That didn't last long before he and I were arguing, he moved out sooner than expected, took the children while I was at work. Then we were fighting over everything down to the coffee pot and the toaster. So I say if there is any doubt this can be done in total agreement then pay the money and get a lawyer. My lawyer was cheap and didn't really advise me well or explain things well and I've paid for it ever since.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 7:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Yes but most states only allow it if there is no real property or children involved.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I did, but my ex was in jail at the time, so there was nothing to fight over. It was clear I'd have custody of the kids, I didn't totally screw him - he got the things that belonged to him, such as his tools, and he agreed that since I would have the kids, it made more sense for me to have the household stuff, especially since he was going to move back in with his parents anyway. So there was no arguing, partly because we agreed and partly because he was in no position to really argue.

You have to be careful, though, because if you're not able to agree, all the arguing and fighting could make things way worse between you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:11 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• In some states that possible but I would still pay a lawyer for a review.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2012