Can your weight be a factor of how often you pee?

I'm about 70 lbs overweight. I'm considered overweight for my height, 5'6. I drink about 2 cups of coffee in the am, and quite abit of water throughout the day. Try to get my 8 glasses in. Had my usual bloodwork done and all the numbers were good. So no worries there. Coffee and water run right threw me. Have you ever heard that extra weight you carry makes the bladder work harder?

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 2:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Health

• Definitely. I had to visit a urologist last summer and fall because of bladder problems, and he said weight could be a contributing factor in having to pee more often.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Another thing you need to know is that also can be a symptom of diabetes. And being overweight increases the likelihood of developing adult onset diabetes. I would ask your doc to if he could test you for diabetes just in case.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I agree with Michigan-Mom74 - please get tested for diabetes. Your blood work may well be OK for the standard tests but you need to be tested specifically for diabetes. If you have it the sooner you know the better.

Good luck
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:33 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Besides being tested as the other moms suggested, just know that drinking that much liquid, it will have to "go" somewhere, & coffee is a known diuretic.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I have never heard of weight alone making you urinate more but Diabetes does & you're more at risk for Diabetes when you are over weight & or you have a family history of it. Have you had a glucose tolerance test done yet? You may want one done.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Just mentioned this in a different question, but you should be drinking half your weight in ounces of water. The larger you are, the more you need, and caffeine dehydrates you, so that will make a difference, too.

You should have your blood sugar tested due to your weight, but it can also be a UTI if it's only started recently. That can be treated with cranberry juice, but should still be checked out in case it's spread.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2012