Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Question about child support

My husbands ex wife wants to lower his child support payment because his daughter switched colleges to a on line, for lack of a better term "layed back" college course.. Do you think the court would allow that if she stated because of the changes and that both parties came to an agreement?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Parenting Debate

Answers (8)
  • I think as long as both parties agree then it won't be a problem

    Answer by missanc at 10:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

  • I think so, but even if they didn't she could always "refund" him some money every month

    Answer by jesslsch at 10:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

  • Typically as long as both parties agree, they will agree. I know I was told I could get $865 a month but I said "no, $730 will be fine" and they accepted that. Now my Ex wasn't happy. He only wanted to pay $600 and thought that $730 was outrageous. Somehow he keeps forgetting I could have gotten the $865!!

    Answer by layh41407 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

  • possibly but because the "child" is an adult she may have to agree as well.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

  • layh41407, wow your ex is mighty ungrateful. i think it was really fair of you! You're a good egg :-)

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

  • Usually, as long as both parties are in agreement, the court wil have no problem with it. I would definately hav them go to the court before he does start paying less though. Just because she agrees to a lower payment doesn't mean he should start paying that.

    Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

  • In agreement w/ most of the o;thers!! But def. get it set legally first, just to avoid any future issues.....

    Answer by HappyEndings at 5:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

  • As long as it is a FAIR agreement and has the best interest of the child then usually the judge will sign off.

    Answer by booklover545 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.