How important is credit score?

In the 90's people asked potential partners if they'd been tested for std's, according to the news, now people are asking credit score.

When considering a prospective mate, how important is credit score? What does it tell you about the person?

ohwrite

Asked by ohwrite at 11:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Relationships

• I don't know that I'd write someone off because of a low credit score but if I planned on buying a house, cars, etc. with that person it would be a major thing to consider.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• If they have a low credit score, it tells me that they are irresponsible. I wouldn't be with someone who had a low credit score unless they were actively trying to repair it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:38 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• While I wouldn't make it a deal breaker, I would give 2nd thoughts to dating someone who told me their score is in the toilet. I'd like to retire within 20 years, so financial stability is important to me if I were looking for a partner.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I'm so with you ladies. I think credit score can tell you a lot about a person, how responsible they are, if they set goals and work towards them...and what kind of future they might expect! Of course, sometimes bad things happen to good people, but I'd want details and maybe even proof.

ohwrite

Comment by ohwrite (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Credit scores are for each individual. There's not a marital score. So, as long as mine was good I wouldn't care about his.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• My mom always told me to never marry a man with bad credit.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:59 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• SaraD, definitely credit scores are individual...however, when you're married what one partner does can affect both credit scores.

But really I was talking more about what it tells you before you marry someone. Odds are if someone has a low credit score, they are irresponsible, or maybe immature, and if they are irresponsible with their finances, I'd think they may be irresponsible with other things as well.

Not a definitive way to evaluate, but definitely something to consider.
    ohwrite

Comment by ohwrite (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I agree, it does tell you how responsible that person is, in general. There are some exceptions, like if the debt was caused by a major medical problem, or something unavoidable like that. Other debt will tell you how seriously he takes his responsibilities and finances, and how impulsive he is. I wouldn't marry a man with bad credit because of the way it would affect things in the future, like the ability to buy a house.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• It would depend if we're talking bad credit or no credit. I have basically no credit, because I never got a credit card until the last year or so. I didn't want a credit card, because I didn't want to be tempted to be irresponsible. I am responsible with my money, but I knew that a credit card would be too much temptation for me, so I avoided it.

I wouldn't hold something like that against someone. But when I left my ex, I discovered he had like $25-30K in debt - credit cards, student loans, an eviction, overdrawn bank accounts that he never resolved, all kinds of stuff. That kind of thing would make a difference to me. It's irresponsibility, and in some cases, could even be a crime - and that's what would create the problem for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• A bad credit score does not equal a bad husband. I knew my dh had a bad score when we got married. It happened because of things beyond his control. We have dealt with it. Our home was already in my name as well as most of the other things. When we bought him a truck it went under my name. We've now been married almost 6 years and we have now bought a used camper from the credit union and it is under his name. It's a small loan and it helps to build up his credit. Crazy thing is they told us because he hadn't had any credit other then his debit card/MC for those 5 years he actually has good credit.

If you are marrying someone because he has good credit I pity you. You may find someone who has money/credit but it doesn't speak of his character with kids, family, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2012