Someone on here said that people who want gun control are ignoring the real true reason these shootings like Sandy Hook happen. So what is the REAL reason?

This is what the person said.  It's funny though how one person in particular here on CM refuses to acknowledge the real issue behind these massacres, even when questioned over and over about addressing the true reasons these tragedies happen.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's important & helpful to recognize "mental illness" as existing on a continuum of functioning--a continuum on which we ALL fall. Think in terms of degree of mental HEALTH. Not some discreet category (mentally ill) to which some belong, but rather a human continuum that registers relative healthy function & dysfunction, and all points in between.
    I also believe that "parenting" relates DIRECTLY to mental health (and thus, relates directly to "mental illness.") This doesn't imply obvious abuse or neglect on the part of parents. Not getting what you needed (in terms of attuned relating) because a parent was stressed, depressed, emotionally preoccupied (re-traumatized by a birth experience, etc.), is something that can negatively impact neurological development in lasting ways. There's plenty of non-incriminating stuff (re: the Lanza family's habits) that suggests disconnect, isolation, dysfunction, without overt abuse.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I am the one who said that. And I believe all of you who are crying "more gun control, more gun control" are just trying to put a band-aid on a gaping wound. Gun control won't fix it. Even if we eliminate all the guns in the country (which is unrealistic and even the gun control people know that, I hope), there will still be mentally unstable people who want to hurt others. Timothy McVeigh didn't need guns, neither did Andrew Kehoe in Bath Township in 1927. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold began their massacre by planting bombs in the cafeteria and had intended on killing hundreds with those bombs.

Gun control MIGHT stop SOME people from planning massacres like this. Then again... maybe people like James Holmes, Adam Lanza, etc will just make up a bunch of explosives instead and kill far more people.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• There are millions of people who own guns in this country. Legally, registered guns. Some households have more than one. Of those millions of responsible gun owners, what percentage are shooting up the schools, malls, theaters, etc?  Just like millions play violent video games or listen to questionable lyrics in their music, yet what percentage of those act out what they see or hear? There is an underlying mental health issue that is either being ignored, or not fully addressed due to financial restrictions & the inability of family to act on grown children's behalf.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• There are several compounding reasons, none of which are religion based.
    1.) The Mental Health Industry in our nation is pathetic, not because of not understanding diseases but, due to the costs being too outlandish for most people. Also, thanks to special interest groups, far too much emphasis has been placed on patient's rights. Which, can be dangerous with concerns to mental health.
    2.) Gun Control: the bottom line that it is far too easy for people to obtain guns in this country: legally & illegally. There would be less fatalities in this nation if the laws we have now were actually enforced. And, if it became an actual priority in this country to stop illegal gun runners.
    3.) Bad Parenting: which has always existed but, violence has escalated in the last 20 years. Which, does start to coincide with "friend parenting" & an overall lack of consequences being given to children. It's not their fault they failed, etc.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Guns just make it easier for people with mental health issues. If they didn't have guns, there are still other options for them to do what they feel they need to. In 1927, a guy that appeared to have mental health issues planned what is still the most severe case of school violence in Bath Michigan. Over a period of several months, he brought explosive into the school and finally set them off, killing 45 more. Many people feel what finally set him off was being defeated for school board, but he had a reputation for being cruel to animals before that. Ironically, it was thought that he might be suicidal, but no body did anything to help him.

That being said--I agree with 3libras on all counts. Mental Health care is a joke, we don't enforce the gun laws we have and this whole 'feel good' parenting thing is creating kids that have no respect for anyone else.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• People are going to blame it on "what they think is wrong in the world". Even if they think it's because someone dies their hair blue. Truly. Mental health issues have always been around in the world and always will. Sometimes it's up to the parents who brought that person into this world to realize there is a problem, an issue. Sometimes, you can look at parenting... period.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:38 AM on Dec. 27, 2012

• So stop focusing on ONLY ONE issue. Start looking at the other, MORE common denominator in these massacres... mental illness. That is one thing that all these people had in common. No person who is mentally stable would try to commit such atrocities. I have stated very clearly in other questions what needs to be done. I won't repeat it here where few people will attempt to understand it anyway.

We do need to review the gun control laws currently on the books. I've never said that I oppose gun control. But there are already plenty of laws on the books controlling guns. They don't seem to be doing a damned bit of good. We obviously cannot get it right, so maybe we need to start looking at the root of the problem. It's not guns, it's something deeper. And crying out gun control is just taking away discussion from the real, deeper issues of mental health.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I'm so utterly tired of the "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" blog. As far as I know, Adam Lanza never freaked out on his mom like that kid does his. So they are two different situations.
    __

Then you missed the point. Sad!
    layh41407

• Just because a person shows no signs of mental illness, doesn't mean a person is not mentally ill. I have worked ER and I have worked in a hospital with what is considered to be first rate inpatient and outpatient mental health care. Family and friends of those coming in on a 72 hour hold say they don't understand why a person would suddenly snap. The answer is that they don't suddenly snap. There are subtle signs that most people miss. It usually happens slowly over time so no one really pays any attention, or they explain it away as eccentricity or some other more socially acceptable excuse. Chances are, if more people are trained to notice the subtle signs of mental illness, we could treat people before they reach the 'point of no return' so to speak. However, mental illness is still a pretty taboo subject that no one wants to talk about. It's easier to blame other things, including "evil".
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• For poster who say it is about parents recognizing issues. Yes, BUT resources are thin. I work with parents who know and are trying but are being turned down for services. Just the other day a local mental health center declined services to a child who threatend to shoot up his school. I know because mental health called me saying it was not their job to evaluate his mental health. They asked if I could do it. And I have had tons of calls before and after CT on this very issue. Parents wanting help, asking, and being turned down every place they go. I see every day bat shit crazy situations and I have to say it is very scary how much there is little out there for them. I do not find the conversation should only be about mental health. I call CT a receipe for disaster. Because many things contributed to that event. There is room and necessity to discuss this from all angles.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2012