Apparently we have become a minority...

when it comes to my family
I have been married 13 years. He is my only marriage,I am his. Our son was born 17 months into our marriage. Neither of us have kids from a previous relationship
So on forms,we are a minority
We get asked if the other bio parent is coming/was informed/gave permission
The school has to ask us these things. Doctors and nurses have to ask these questions. We are asked if the the form we just filled out is correct because it only list us
Is it just me,or does this seem a little sad in a way? Maybe I'm just "old school"

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Relationships

• My 15 year old dd told me that while working in a group with some other students in school, they started talking about which bio parent they lived with.  My dd said that she lived with both bio parents and they looked at her in shock.  

Out of all her friends she only has two whose parents are still married.   So yes, we are in the minority!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• i agree!! the world has certainly changed for the worst on that aspect!!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 12:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I guess not all of us manage to do things the Disney way. I'm kind of glad the forms and medical people and the like ask about such things--it's better than it was in the days when there was a stigma attached to "broken homes" and "wicked stepmothers."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I am too, then. My husband and I got married when we were 18. We had our kids at 23 and 26. We've been married 15 years now and our kids are 7 and 10. Nobody has asked us questions like that though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Congrats! I can't say the same for my DH and me. We are a blended family. It is sad that bio parents, step-parents, blended families, etc. are the norm.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I notice the same thing and wonder the same thing.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Because I'm so young I get asked if my Los have the same father. It kind of upsets me but I understand why. We've been together for 10 years in July. (ive lived with him since i was 16) We weren't married when we had our first but we're still together and married now. So does that make me half of a minority lol
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• The only similar question I've gotten is "Is he also your son's father?" when I refer to my husband as my husband. Apparently I'm supposed to include the fact that he is not only my husband, but yes, also my son's biological father. I just find it odd that people CARE. I guess I can understand medical forms, etc. (though I've never been asked what you have) but in general does it really matter?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• We don't get that too much, but a family where everyone has the same last name seems to be a dying breed. I joke about it with people, that my family is one of these rare creatures where we all have the same last name.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I guess the medical & education fields are adjusting to the changes & covering all bases. Let's face it, when about 1/2 of marriages end in divorce these days, it's almost more common to be a blended family, single parent or grandparent raising grandkids, then the "traditional" sense of family. To me, family is where you find love & support, no matter what "form" it takes :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2012