My son is eight and always asking for water. He has 3 siblings who do not drink anywhere near as much. Should I be worried.

dannyc123

Asked by dannyc123 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If is is a significate amount, it may be a sign of diabetes. See your doctor
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 12:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Is there a family history of Diabetes? If so then I would have him checked. Does he eat more salty foods than the other children? Is he more active?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Do they not drink as much liquid, period, or just not as much water? Some people love water, others don't. If they're drinking juice, milk, etc., and just not as much water, then I'd just chalk it up to he loves water and they don't. But if they're not drinking as much liquid in general, then I'd have his doctor check him out.

I also agree that you need to compare his activity level and sodium intake to theirs, as well. I know when I eat something really salty, I drink water by the gallon, it seems like.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I agree with the others. Are they not drinking as much water, or not drinking as much in general? Also, another sign of diabetes is drinking alot without going to the bathroom alot. I have a diabtic husband and mother, so we are watching our kids VERY closely. Does he eat alot of salty food? Do he drink alot of water and other liquids, or does he just generally drink water? If he is drinking alot in general (no matter what kind of liquid it is) then you need to have him checked. If he just seems to prefer water, then congratulations! I have one son that I can't get to even TOUCH water to drink!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• How much water is a lot? Are his siblings drinking as much but drinking other things rather than water? Basically, what I'm trying to ask is whether you're worried of what it is he's drinking or the total amount he's drinking?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• have him tested for diabetes, that how we found out my niece was
    Jasmommie

Answer by Jasmommie at 6:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2012

• If you are worried about the amount of liquid he is taking in, talk to his doctor. On a side note, my almost 5 year old daughter absolutely loves water. She will drink water over anything else. She also drinks water ALL DAY LONG. I took her to the doctor and she is perfectly fine. So again, a mother knows her child best... if you think it is a problem, then take him to the dr. It never hurts to check.
    USNavyWife0330

Answer by USNavyWife0330 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2013