I'm going to start going after the 1st of the year, want to start slow and then work my way up more each week.

Plan on going with a gf who has a membership, and says it doesn't work if your heartate isn't faster and you sweat. I personally do not want to be sore for weeks on end. I like the treadmill, and just wan to do that. What is your opinion?

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 12:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• Cardio is great but you will see better faster results if you incorporate weights as well. Nothing big or really heavy, low weight with lots of reps to tone rather than build. The trainers at the gym should be able to help you. Even if it cost a little extra, a few personal training sessions would be worth it to get you comfortable on the machines.

Answer by missanc at 12:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I agree, get a personal trainer to teach you how to use the weights PROPERLY. There's more to it than just your heart rate or sweat, but that is important. When you're weight training, your HR tends to go down, unless you're circuit training, HIIT, or doing something like that. Your trainer can teach you some different techniques. You'll probably want to stick to weight machines while you're getting comfortable with lifting.

Here's a link you might find helpful for exercise ideas.  That one connects to core exercises, but check out the upper and lower body ones as well.

If you truly just want to stick to a treadmill, then buy a treadmill.  You'll get more out of it in the long run.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2012