Where can I find visual aids to help teach my son the alphabet?

I haven't been able to find an online source for the Alphabet that hangs in every grade school classroom.

Any suggestions on where to purchase one? (I'm also looking for visual aids depicting colors and shapes)

TIA!

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 4:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in

• we have a store called the Educator here.

But if you don't want to by anything you can make them yourself and print them from your own computer. A friend of mine made some for my DD using pictures of things she liked that started with the letters IE- A was Apple B was Bible and Bee T- was Tinker bell M was Miokey Mouse

You can also use Shaving cream, you write the letter with your finger and have him/her follow yours and then do it themselves. It's something fun while learning, you can do the same with numbers
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• First, find out what style your school system teaches. Then make them your own or google, ALPHABET TEMPLATES. There are tons of sources on line for them. I know, I have made my own as a preschool teacher. You can also use magnets on the fridge but the best source is READING BOOKS to your child. Point out the letters. Also, drawing letters in different textures is another way. Flashcards (from dollar store, walmart, etc). If there is a teacher supply store near you, you can get many things there. You can also go to www.lakeshorelearning.com (it's an educational supply company). So is Kaplan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• the leap frog letters are fantastic. both my boys learned their phonics this way and read at three.
    they are better than a graphic because they are interactive and teach not just letter recognition but the sounds letters make.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Google ideas and also I found this site : http://www.learningthings.com/learning-alphabet-letters?Cc=LEARNALPHABET
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• At 3, my son still didn't know his letters and I was getting worried. I bought that Leap Frog magnet set because it had worked wonders for my daughter and I had given it away. He learned so much from it. I also love that it's a refrigerator toy. That way he can be in the kitchen with me while I cook.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• The Leap frog Video The Amazing Alphabet Park did wonders for my DD.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• There are sme nice puzzles by Melissa and Doug that have pictures uner the letters of the alphabet of things that start with each letter, and the puzzles also talk.

The Fridge Phonics set is great, and when the kids get older, there are more advanced sets with lowercase letters and word building.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I loved this:
    http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000096QNK

It's refrigerator magnets, but you put each letter into a base and it says what letter it is. My kids used them for years. Just let him play alone with them. They really work!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• You are looking for the types of things teachers have on their classroom walls?
    If so many dollar stores have them and look in your phone book under teacher supplies.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• when i say make it yourself i mean print a small picture and either laminate or put in a small photoalbum he can flip through :) Good Luck
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 4:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2012