Where can I find visual aids to help teach my son the alphabet?

I haven't been able to find an online source for the Alphabet that hangs in every grade school classroom.

Any suggestions on where to purchase one? (I'm also looking for visual aids depicting colors and shapes)

TIA!

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 4:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in

• I loved this:
    http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000096QNK

It's refrigerator magnets, but you put each letter into a base and it says what letter it is. My kids used them for years. Just let him play alone with them. They really work!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• when i say make it yourself i mean print a small picture and either laminate or put in a small photoalbum he can flip through :) Good Luck
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 4:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• You are looking for the types of things teachers have on their classroom walls?
    If so many dollar stores have them and look in your phone book under teacher supplies.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• There are sme nice puzzles by Melissa and Doug that have pictures uner the letters of the alphabet of things that start with each letter, and the puzzles also talk.

The Fridge Phonics set is great, and when the kids get older, there are more advanced sets with lowercase letters and word building.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• the leap frog letters are fantastic. both my boys learned their phonics this way and read at three.
    they are better than a graphic because they are interactive and teach not just letter recognition but the sounds letters make.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• First, find out what style your school system teaches. Then make them your own or google, ALPHABET TEMPLATES. There are tons of sources on line for them. I know, I have made my own as a preschool teacher. You can also use magnets on the fridge but the best source is READING BOOKS to your child. Point out the letters. Also, drawing letters in different textures is another way. Flashcards (from dollar store, walmart, etc). If there is a teacher supply store near you, you can get many things there. You can also go to www.lakeshorelearning.com (it's an educational supply company). So is Kaplan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Go to walmart. They sell cards for that.

Answer by louise2 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Walmart has flash cards for $0.97.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Make sure you use the D'Nealian style. I taught my dd her letters and she had to relearn them all in kindergarten because of that idiotic writing style. I hate it, btw....with a purple passion!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• i say make it yourself - find something for each letter that your son might like or recognize - it wil help him learn faster - id did for the little ones in my life - Apple Bubba Cupcake Daddy Elephant Etc.
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 4:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2012