"Illegitimate child"

I hate that term. But anyway, technically speaking, is a child still illegitimate if the (bilogical)parent's got married after the baby was born?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in General Parenting

• yes
    Who still uses that?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• The baby is not illegitimate if the baby is born after marriage.

Answer by louise2 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Doesn't the term usually refer to the birth moreso than the child? Which would mean the parents were unmarried at the time of the birth, regardless of what happened after. Not that I've heard anyone under 70 use it recently...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Technically, I believe that answer is yes. The term means born out of wedlock. Since you were not married, the term would apply.
    It is a rather outdated term though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• That's a sucky term. I don't care what anybody says; no child is illegitimate.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• A coworker jokingly mentioned after having her 3rd child that he was the first one who was not illegitimate (the first two were from the same father, they just weren't married at the time). It was a joke, I took it that way, but it got me to thinking about all the women who rush to get married AFTER finding out they are pregnant but BEFORE the child is born, like it makes them any different from women who get pregnant out of wedlock who DON'T get married just because they are pregnant, which lead me to wonder if a child would still be illegitimate if it's parent's were NOT married when it was born, but got married afterwards. So I asked!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• My 91 year old grandmother called my sister's youngest son "her little bastard baby" and my jaw hit the floor. I don't think anyone under 50 gives a crap these days.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Who cares about the terminology? It's just words. Babies are loved, that's all that matters.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• which lead me to wonder if a child would still be illegitimate if it's parent's were NOT married when it was born, but got married afterwards.

And the funniest part being, anyone who actually cares shouldn't be placated by getting married before the birth. If they're that offended by sex before marriage, marriage before baby didn't make the sex magically not happen. It's a long time since it mattered legally if the parents were married or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I'm asking simply out of curiousity, not because I consider any child to be one thing or another. I could honestly care less who has children when, why, or how. Technically my child would have been "illegitimate" but I don't consider him to be another less than my child! I don't care, just curious! I'm bored and got to thinking too much I guess!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2012