Caffeine withdrawals

So in an attempt to reduce anxiety I've decided to quit coffee. I just started today lol I didn't have my morning cup and I have felt less anxious. Not a single heart palp today or racing pulse. But I've had a raging headache that I cannot get rid of. I've slept, taken aspirin and now I'm drinking hot cocoa but its not going Away :( is there a better way to go about this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Health

• Blood pressure is solid btw so it's not that
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• That's the worst. I remember having terrible head aches when I quit coffee both times I was trying to get pregnant. It lasted a couple of weeks, and nothing helped.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Yes, I have felt the same thing. I went without coffee for 3 days & I had raging headaches. How about 1/2 cafe coffee? Easing off?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Cutting down rather that quitting cold turkey will reduce the chances of headaches. You can try some green tea; it has 1/4 the caffeine of a cup of coffee, but the caffeine arc is really slow and steady. It should prevent the headaches and not leave you amped up.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Excedrin - has some caffeine specifically for treating headaches, but not enough to get you jittery. Use that for a few days as needed until the headaches taper off. Also drink tons and tons of water (half your weight in lbs in ounces of water - so 10 ounces for every 20 lbs). Caffeine dehydrates you, so rehydrating while you ween off it will help the headaches, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Cocoa has caffeine.
    I am surprized that one cup does this much damage to you.
    I drink a lot of coke and I will only drink it with caffiene. When I have dacided I am drinking too much I reduce, rather than elliminat it entirely.
    With one cup it may be more psychological that actual dependence.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• The cocoa is helping slightly now. Ughhh
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Definitely wean off if you can instead of going cold turkey. Or replace with other caffeine and wean off that.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• The cocoa ruined it. You would have felt fine tomorrow.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2012