Do stealing and lying go along with adhd?

My 4 year old son is showing all the signs of adhd, and has been since we can remember, but lately his stealing & lying is getting out of control. no matter what we do, he is always stealing, the candy, fridge, my purse, his siblings rooms, ect. and when asked about it, its his brother's fault.. ect. we have tried everything, all forms of discipline, nothing seems to phase him. he eats fine at meals, and gets regular snacks, along with occasional candy and treats.. but between meals, he is stealing. is this normal for adhd? or is there somthing else wrong? what can i do? i know he is only 4, but i also have 5 other children younger and older than him who do not have this problem.

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 5:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd say those are normal for kids.
    look up reasons kids lie- you can look at why each age group does it-and that it's normal
    as for stealing candy...think about it- he's 4!
    mine are teens and still sneak food!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• stealing and lying sound like issues that can happen with young children
    but i have never heard these as symptoms of ADHD or ADD
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Stealing and lying can go along with the increased impulsivity associated with ADD or ADHD.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I don't know that they go along with ADHD, as in being a symptom. My kids both have ADHD, and although both have lied, they have never stolen. But, as Ballad said, the increased impulsivity that comes with ADHD could be behind it to a degree. If he has the thought "I'll just take this" or "I don't want to get in trouble, maybe I should lie", that impulsivity might make him do it before he really thinks about it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I am ADHD. I don't lie and I have never stolen anything. In addition, these are not related symptoms. If they are impulsive to the point of stealing, that does beyond ADHD and you are then entering Impulse Control Disorder territory.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I don't know... But I do know my nephew would steal everything and he is adhd. When he went in for the testing he had the highest markers that the doc had ever seen.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• My daughter is 8 and YES this behavior is typical so please, please do not put a guilt trip on yourself. I had the same problem: she would hide the food under her bed and then blame it on her brother which caused more pain within the family. I turned to the neurofeedback platform and have had total success. It's called Play Attention. I truly believe that ADD/ADHD is a neuro disorder that can be treated. The program basically shapes her behavior and allows her to focus and stay on task. Now, she can even have sleep-overs, she has friends! Her behavior used to be so frustrating but I just remind myself that I am her biggest and best advocate.
    jnystrom

Answer by jnystrom at 2:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• No
    MrsMorrell

Answer by MrsMorrell at 10:31 AM on Feb. 20, 2013