Am I right to be excited?

My Husband's from the UK, he's been a permanent resident here in the US for the past 13 yrs. He's going tomorrow to start the process of becoming a citizen.
I'm so happy for him, and our boys are too. But, he doesn't want anyone outside of our little family to know. He told me not to tell anyone, that it's no ones business.
He's been a business owner since he moved here, and has been very successful. I'm very proud of him, and want to tell everyone, but again, he says no.
I told him I'd like to take our boys on the day he's sworn in, that it's something they should see, and it would be a learning experience, and that was a no too......
I don't understand why I can't be happy for him, or why he won't let us..
Any ideas? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Relationships

• He might just be a bit nervous. It's a big step to go from permanent resident to citizen. It's also cool. He'll get more excited as the time for swearing in gets near.

I had a friend become a citizen a few years ago. She was really nervous about the test, but once that was done she was all excitement.

Congrats to your DH!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• There's unfortunately been a lot of anti-immigrant sentiment in this country over the past few years, with the economy tightening up and times getting hard. Maybe your husband feels nervous that people will judge him, although I think he's accomplished something wonderful, coming to this country and building a business--that's what the American Dream is all about.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I didn't think about him being nervous, he's always seemed so brave to me... Coming here with nothing, and doing the things he's done.... I feel bad I didn't think of it that way. Thanks balagan_imma!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• It might be a little bittersweet for him. Giving up one country for another....you cab be excited and proud but respect his feeling and let him set the tone for the day.
    Anonymous

• might be because of all the judgemental talk out there. If he fails anything, he might not want anyone to know and that will also take away the embarressment if no one knows he failed. Also maybe he's not as excited as everyone thinks it should be.
    lovekitchenmama

Answer by lovekitchenmama at 5:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Firstly, you don't have to give up your original nationality to take on another - dual nationality exists.

As someone who took on another nationality, I would say that perhaps it isn't as big a deal for him as it may be for you. Some of us consider it to be just another administrative process... especially when you have been living in the other country for years and feel that it is your home anyway.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2012