What do you know about labor? any midwives here?

i went to my midwife yesterday because i am 36 weeks and on Christmas eve my plug came out completely,my husband works out of town and won't be back until Sunday and we wanted to make sure it was ok for him to leave. when she checked me she said my cervix was a little firm and she could fit one finger in,she said the baby's head is not fully engaged but getting there and she is guessing if i continue to progress that i will give birth in one or two weeks she said that because there is no bleeding that i would not be going into labor in the next few days but i am in the early stages of labor . i have contractions but they are irregular and not very strong mostly at night i can feel the baby's head pressing down on my cervix at times and i also have periods that i have pressure in my front and back. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I'd have your husband come back ASAP. Of course, I'm not a midwife but, I went into labor with both of my children at 37 weeks.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I agree with your midwife. I'd give you a week. Good luck and God Bless!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• It sounds like prodromal labor to me, it could be tomorrow but it could also take a couple of weeks, theres just no way to predict that
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I have been through it several times and each woman is different.
    I went through my entire labors in about 4 hours.
    For some the losing of the plugs speds things right allong and for others it takes a while. I would go with what my midwife says unless you feel something is just not right.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• with my first i went into labor at 42 weeks and she was 7 lbs this baby is estimated at 7 lbs now at 36 weeks could this be why she is trying to come early?

once he returns we are going to do some walking to see if it will jump start everything,although its still quite early she is big and healthy.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I wouldn't worry too much. With my second baby I had contractions for weeks and actually dilated to 4cm without going into labor. Just try to relax with each contraction and let things come naturally. While your midwife can't tell you for certain when you will deliver, she has seen a lot of women and knows how their bodies work. I would trust that you will be just fine and not have the baby for another week or two.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I am no midwife, but have had five children.

Some women can be soft and dilated for a long time before labor. Others stay hard and closed until the day of birth. A cervical check really tells you nothing and I am a bit surprised the midwife gave you an estimate!

I had TONS of prodromal labor with several of my children. Contractions would start late in the evening and end in the early morning hours. They were very regular and timeable. But they always faded away in the morning. The closer I got to delivery the longer they lasted and the stronger they were.

My guess is you are experiencing prodromal labor in the evenings. But that is just a guess! :D Congratulations on your upcoming baby!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• thank you all,yes they are getting stronger i am having them as we speak lol i am quite frightened as i am home alone until Sunday with no family or friends nearby

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Do you have a doula?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• If you didn't have the baby tonight - I would assume prodromal labor. When the contractions start up tonight, make yourself comfortable, relax, and try to rest as best as you can. Chances are they will fade again the next day!

On the positive side, my easiest labor was the one where I had weeks and weeks of prodromal stuff that just kept getting harder and lasting longer. By the time I was actually in labor I was coping really well and thought it was more of the prodromal labor! :D

Rest, drink plenty of fluids, and relax!!

If you did have the baby last night/today, please let us know!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2012